PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpybear

Lurker
Dec 30, 2017
West Columbia, S.C.
Hi,
It has been a while since I posted. I started smoking a pipe last December and have enjoyed the journey. I have tried a variety of pipe tobacco's. I have found that I have a taste for Dark Fired Kentucky. Warhorse Bar was my first taste of DFK and is still my favorite.I have also tried Orlick Dark Strong Kentucky, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired and Bold Dark Fired. I was wondering if I could get some Recommendations of other tobacco's containing DFK.

Also, my other favorite is Just For Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms. However I see on thier web site that it is no longer available. Does anyone make something similar or close to it?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake.

Newminster - No. 403 Superior Round Slices is a coin flake that is Virginias and DFK with a touch of sweetness. It's also a very affordable tobacco.
You might also like MacBarens Dark Twist, but it can be a little bitey. I would suggest drying it to your preference, if you like dry tobaccos.
GLP's Jackknife plug or Triple Play might interest you, as well as GH&c Dark Flake unscented. Dark Flake is a very strong flake that uses Empire Virginias and a fire cure of sorts. It has a very distinct cosmopolitan flavor that some get put off by, but it is either a love it or hate it flake.
There are a lot of other VaPers that use DFK as a condiment. But, these seem to have the flavor profiles that you suggest.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Please try HH Burley Flake. It is quickly moviving to my top list. It has Kentucky as a condiment. Great stuff.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I second HH Burley flake although the Kentucky component is a condiment there mostly. I highly recommend Cornel and Diehl Dreams of Kadath as it has a nice dose of dark fired but also has a delightful dose of Katerini and other tobaccos that works beautifully and packs a nice punch without being harsh. I would also highly recommend Gawith and Hoggarth Dark Birdseye and perhaps some of the brown ropes if you don't mind a strong dose of vitamin N, but especially dark Birdseye as I think that is their most well rounded dark fired heavy blend. Finally, if you also like Perique I would recommend GL Pease Triple Play (and if you don't like Perique Jackknife plug), and for a va/per with just a hint of Kentucky I would recommend Rattray's Hal o' the Wind. It's a delectable treat, though it's kinda harsh until it has close to a year of age on it. Kind of a long winded answer buy there are so many good ones haha.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
One of the best Virginia/Kentucky blends out there is Solani 660 Silver Flake.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2463/solani-660-silver-flake

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I've been itching to try Solani Silver Flake for a long time now but every time I go to do it that price tag turns me off. I will eventually though. Thank God prices are so cheap in America.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been itching to try Solani Silver Flake for a long time now but every time I go to do it that price tag turns me off.
That price is a bit steep. I find Pease's Sixpence to be very similar.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
St. Bruno and Ogden's Walnut Flake in the UK have quite prominent Kentucky leaf, though it's not very dark fired I don't think. Italian Toscano cigars (cheroots really) are also rolled with Kentucky leaf if you would be so inclined; I recommend the Antico ones as they are very dark and flavourful. They're what Clint Eastwood smoked in Sergio Leone movies; but they are traditionally smoked in halves, cut in the middle. You can also cut bits off, break it up and smoke it in a pipe.

Mar 29, 2016
Toscano Originale is a must for Dark Kentucky lovers. There's also Cimette di Mastro Tornabuoni, a pipe tobacco made from the tobacco waste of Kentucky cigars.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I like to smoke Toscano cigars in a cheroot holder I bought on ebay from Italy. It is slightly longer than my other cigar holders/mouthpieces because it accepts a 9mm filter, which is handy for retrohaling Toscano Anticos to get more flavour. It also provides a more clenchable, pipe-like experience, something I am always looking for when I smoke cigars and cheroots. Another bonus is that because the holder is longer than others you can load it with Toscano "thirds" rather than just halves and still get a satisfying smoke from something that feels good in your hand.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
You’re liking some big flavors. The Warhorse Bar makes me think you might like the Gawith Haggarth / Samuel Gawith world
A few might be worth a try like GH Coniston Cut Plug, Brown Irish X, SG 1792, SG Lakeland Dark
GL Pease was mentioned too, I’d agree with Jackknife plug and Triple Play

grumpybear

Lurker
Dec 30, 2017
West Columbia, S.C.
I am going to look for Toscanos for my next tobacco order. The idea of the cheroot holder intrigues me even more.
I bought a tin of Warhorse Bar expecting to be put off by it. To my surprise I found it somehow familiar even though I have never smoked before. My Girlfriend loves the room note. Especially on a rainy day. It has become my most smoked tobacco.

I really want to try some of the Gawith Haggarth/Samuel Gawith tobacco's. Unfortunately they always seem to be out of stock on P&C and SP.com. Perhaps I just have bad timing with my orders.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
They're tough to source, have to pounce when you see it. Smoking Pipes dot com usually has a decent bulk offering.

SG seems harder - though I did just score some FVF at kingsmokingpipesandcigars.com and FVF ...at SPC? Try Mars cigars too

Status
Not open for further replies.