PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I'm pretty new to pipe smoking pipes. I've tried a few new Lane Limited blends (BC-A and 1-Q) as well as a few Newminster blends. So far I'm a fan of the Lane Limited BC-A and 1-Q. I like the Newmister Blackberry Brandy. I'm not a big fan of the Newminster Vanilla Delight or the McClelland Crips Apple or Fresh Apple.
I'd like to try some other tobaccos. Any recommendations from the group?
Thanks for the feedback!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Seems like you like aromatics? Have you tried any non aromatics or good English blends? What do you enjoy about the 1Q and BCA? Rlp-6 is another good lane aromatic.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I guess the best suggestion is to try sampler packages. In the main, buy small quantities

of everything that seems to have an appealing description.
You might want to expand from aromatics (flavored blends) to genre-specific blends.

Virginias are a good start, and SG/Medium Virginia Flake (aka. Golden Glow) or Capstan Yellow are representative.
What are the main genres? Go to the home page of LuxuryTobaccoReviews and check out the categories listed there.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Sutliff's aromatics are pretty nice in general - lots of choice and variety. I'm a big fan of Sutliff Bacchanalia, it's fairly different than pretty much anything else I've ever had. I have a feeling that most folks will either love it or hate it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Aromatics- Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake; Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice or Nutty Cut; Dan Tobacco's Blue Note or Devil's Holiday; Trout Stream is another popular aromatic which I think PipesAndCigars.com carries.
Virginia- Dunhill Flake; Samuel Gawaith's Golden Glow; Capstan Yellow
VaPer- Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake; Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake; H&H's Viprati; Escudo
The only English blend I've had so far that I did somewhat enjoy and would recommend was Kasimir by Sutliff.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I am a broken record with this but you gotta try a sampler from Boswells... Serious some good aromatics and for a good English blend they have northwoods my personal favorite it's in my 5 of dailys.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I lost track of this post I put up several weeks ago. Thanks for all the recommendations.
I have expanded my tobacco store's a bit over the last month and I just placed a few more orders this week.
Shanelktown - I took your advice and ordered both of the Boswell sampler packs (aromatics and English blends). I also ordered the Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream and some Dunhill Flake. I'm also on my second order of Frog Morton which I really enjoy.
I'm trying to expand my tobacco palette a bit before we head out to Tennessee for a vacation in June. We have a little cabin reserved with a great deck and gorgeous views of the smokey mountains. I can't wait to sit out on that deck to enjoy a good smoke and some great scenery!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
If you like the butterscotch, then you definitely has to try Trout Steam, available in bulk from P&C. It's my standard goto tobacco, but my paletter isn't as refined as so many here. But you must also try a tin of Sutliff's Molto Dolce. You don't know when you open it up if you should grab a fork or smoke it! And 5100 Red Cake is a great standard baccy. I have a separate pouch just for that blend.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Try some Anniversary Kake. It's sweet, I think a little bit cased in something. Mixed 50/50 with 1 Q, it's just awesome.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think McClellands Frog Morton Cellar is a good tobacco to try "crossing over" from aros to other tobacco.
That being said, you may just like aromatic tobaccos best. Many do.

Feb 11, 2015
Vacation. Sitting on a back deck in the woods.I'm picking up a latakia vibe pretty strong. As mentioned earlier, try the Frog Morton Cellar. If you like that smokey taste you can see about maybe something heavier in latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.