PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tblanco

Lurker
Dec 8, 2012
I need a recommendation on a few tobaccos please. I fell in love with McClelland Frog Morton on the Town so much that I decided to try Dunhill 965 which I also enjoy very much. Although the two are quite different I would love to try some other English blends that have a nice room note as smell is very important to my enjoyment. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

Jul 15, 2011
English blends arent normally known for having a great room note, but be that as it may, I can suggest the following:
Dunhill Nightcap

Cornell and Diehl Engine 99

Hearth and Home Larrys Blend

Hearth and Home House of Lords

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian

Cornell and Diehl Black Frigate

GL Pease Maltese Falcon

Cornell and Diehl Mississippi Mud
That ought to get you started anyway

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for joining and posting up Joshua.
Please check rule #9 at the bottom here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-read-before-posting-please-1
I fixed the title for you.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome, tblanco!
I fell in love with McClelland Frog Morton on the Town so much that I decided to try Dunhill 965
Trying to wrap my brain around that! ;) To me, these blends have almost nothing in common. But you also enjoyed the 965, so who cares!
"Room note" is a tough call for me, since, as another poster has noted, English blends -- which these two are -- aren't known for being "pleasant" for nonsmokers. Also, tobacco is experienced differently by the pipe smoker than it is for those around them; I don't have a clue what anyone else thinks of the blends I love.
I'm also enjoying a tin of FMotT at the moment. If you like that, I'd heartily recommend Frog Morton across the Pond. I don't know if it still includes Syrian latakia (it used to), but if it does, that'll open another door for you. Syrian latakia tastes/smells quite different from Cyprian latakia. (I love both.) Also in the FMotT vein: Esoterica's And So to Bed (although this is currently out of stock with most vendors).
Since you also like 965, you might enjoy GLPease's Westminster and Odyssey, two great blends, as well as Dan Tobacco's Gordon Pym, Dunhill's London Mixture, Butera's Royal Vintage: Latakia No. 1, Brebbia's Preludio Mixture No. 60, Rattray's 3 Noggins and Black Mallory, McClelland's Blackwoods Flake, Esoterica's Margate, and J.F. Germain's Special Latakia Flake. Not that any of these are like 965! But they are mixtures that tend toward richness and highlight the flavor of latakia. But I could also have included 20 other blends just as easily. There's lots to explore.
Bob

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
In my opinion if you love Frog Morton on the Town then definitely try the Frog Morton Cellar. I love the cellar and will buy buying some On the Town soon.
Also I really have to point out that you should try Hearth & Home Black House. Baron on this forum sent me a sample and I'm totally hooked on the stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would replace 4noggins.com with cup of joes as a source for buying tobacco. COJ charges 11.99 for shipping where the other 3 have free shipping over 100.00. Also COJ's prices are higher across the board than the other 3.
One English blend that I used to really enjoy was Two Friends Deacons Downfall. It has a touch of perique which makes it quite interesting and tasty.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My favorite Frog is Frog Morton on the Bayou. I'd reccomment PS Proper English, PS Balkan Supreme, Newminster English Oriental, Dunhill EMP, SG Squadron Leader and all the Hearth and Home English/Balkans!

tblanco

Lurker
Dec 8, 2012
Thank you all for your help. I just purchased on the Bayou and Dunhill Nightcap. No idea where this will take me but isn't this part of the journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.