PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Hello dear friends,
I am new here, as today was my second ever pipe smoke - I liked my first one yesterday, but today one was so much better!
I am using a Missouri Meerschaum Legend and the tobacco I am smoking is Peterson Sherlock Holmes. I managed not to break the pipe, managed to maintain pretty cool smoke and I personally think I did a good job :)
So now I am looking for any recommendations on tobacco I should try, I know everyone's taste is different, but I am pretty sure there are some "all-time favorites".
I am looking for tobaccos that are not really strong, more mild and sweet, and also looking for some recommendations on flavored tobaccos (really interested in those too).
I would greatly appreciate any advice, and especially if there is someone from Ireland who can point me in the direction of where I can buy tobaccos here :)
Thank you!
Alex

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If you’re looking for a mild flavored tobacco, Peterson Nutty Cut is very good. It’s a bit lighter on the flavoring than other Peterson aromatics.
Aside from specific blend suggestions, my advice would be to find a couple you like now and use them to refine your smoking technique, which will take time. You will absolutely have some terrible bowls because you’re still learning about packing, moisture level, cadence, etc. that will have nothing to do with the blend you’re smoking. Once you have some confidence in your technique you’ll be able to better judge what you like and what you don’t like. Then you can try a couple of each type of tobacco: straight Virginia, virginia-perique, English and Balkan, burleys, different aromatics. Welcome to to the hobby and be patient.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I’m a rookie too , what I tried the other day was to smoke back to back lane 1Q and a Balkan , whoa , talk about a contrast .
My other suggestion is , if you are either bit handy , order a little leaf tobacco and try blending , making cavendish , pressing , so far its been the best smoke I’ve tried
I also have started a small eclectic collection of tinned and bulk tobaccos to try over the fall and winter , shall report back ..

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would suggestion buying a couple more cobs and dedicate each to a blend type. One for VA, one for VaPer, one for English perhaps. I would recommend you try a blend or two from each of those types. If they still have some available, try one of the online retailers and get some F&T Golden Mixture. Very good, nice starter blend. Orlik Golden Sliced is another nice intro to Virginias. It's a flake though, so I'd suggest rubbing it out good first before loading the bowl. There's more VaPers than you can shake a stick out. Some H&H Louisiana Red is a budget VaPer that is pretty good.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with Hoosierpipeguy, but will add a few mild, sweet blends for you to consider: Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend, Match Sutliff Troost (sold in bulk only), Amphora Original, Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (sold in bulk only), Savinelli Brunello Flake, and Peterson Signature Flake.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Absolutely agree with getting some cobs and dedicating each one to different styles. Make your way through the popular English blends like Dunhill Early Morning Pipe or Nightcap, Stokkebye's Proper English etc.. Popular Virginia blends like HH Pure Virginia by Mac Baren, Dunhill Flake or Dark Flake, GL Pease's Union Square. Popular Burley blends like C&D's Burley Flake No.3 or No.5, Mac Baren's HH Burley Flake, Solani Aged Burley Flake. Popular Virginia-Perique blends like Escudo,GL Pease Haddo's Delight. There's so many blends on the market today, spend the first year or two of your journey going through them before you settle on favorites and then stock up on those.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Thank you so much everyone, I wrote down all the names for myself :)
I have 2 cobs at the moment, switching between them.
And what about tobaccos with flavorings, like vanilla, cherry, etc.? I understand they are probably much lower quality, but still interested in trying. Any suggestions here?
Offtop: Don't want to create a separate topic for that, so will ask here - how should the corn cob pipe smell next day after it was cleaned? Mine have a bit of an ashtray smelk in it, not as awful, but still - is that ok, or that means I am doing the cleaning badly? I smoked it 3 times total.
Thank you!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And what about tobaccos with flavorings, like vanilla, cherry, etc.? I understand they are probably much lower quality
Not at all. Some to try are Cult's Blood Red Moon, Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, and Cornell & Diehl's Chocolate Cavendish.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
how should the corn cob pipe smell next day after it was cleaned? Mine have a bit of an ashtray smelk in it, not as awful, but still - is that ok, or that means I am doing the cleaning badly?
Try taking a paper towel and twisting it into the bowl to get it a little cleaner. I also use unscented diaper wipes after each bowl in a cob to completely remove residue and carbon.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Try taking a paper towel and twisting it into the bowl to get it a little cleaner. I also use unscented diaper wipes after each bowl in a cob to completely remove residue and carbon.

Oh wow, thank you so much! It actually changed the smell drastically!
Not at all. Some to try are Cult's Blood Red Moon, Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, and Cornell & Diehl's Chocolate Cavendish.
Thank you sir! Will give a try to those!

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I had success following a lot of the reviews and recommendations on this forum and reading online reviews , some of which are highly detailed and colourful descriptions .
Pick up a few tins of something different for your future self and salt them away , supplies can swing and tastes change.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
The best flavored tobaccos include floral essence in them.

Bob’s Chocolate Flake and Rich Dark Honeydew are medium strength blends and both have a nice aftertaste.

And both are bulk blends, so you don’t have to buy a lot to give them a try. And then bulk pricing helps you save when you’re ready to buy a lot.

arvetus

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2018
New piper myself. Mac Baren Vanilla Flake is one of my favorites at the moment. It's pretty Virginia heavy, but it is pretty nice. Had a real good smoke with that one last week. The other day, I tried some Ole Shenandoah Appalachian Berry which was a bit more mellow and that was good too. Not too impressed with 1-Q right now...seems too bright for me..but I will let that one sit in the jar for a while and try again later.

Autumn Evening is also pretty good.
I have an assortment of aromatics that I bought as I am just trying things out. As far as English blends, Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe and Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury. I think I like the English Lux over the EMP, but I will try it again.
Heard good things about Plum Pudding being a good VaPer, but haven't tried it. I do have a tin on the shelf waiting for me though. Working through the Vanilla Flake and Appalachian Berry tins first.
Building another shopping cart for my next order and am throwing a pouch of the old standby's in there...PA and SWR. They've been around a long time for a reason.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Is there a chance that someone from EU can advise me with a tobacco online shop that can possibly ship tobacco to Ireland and that is worth checking? Would greatly appreciate it!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I buy tobacco from danishpipeshop.com. It is in the EU. There are several in Germany. The Pipe Shop in Edinburgh has a homepage where you can order both pipes and tobacco, but the site is not as easy to navigate as the danish. Aren't there any decent tobacconists in Dublin with a homepage?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know if it is blended in Ireland, but the pouch tobacco Erin Go Braugh flavored with Irish whiskey is a pleasant fairly mild blend that I enjoy. The Irish theme suggests it might be available there, though I get mine from pipesandcigars.com online in the States. Again, I don't know what the availability in Ireland is, but I like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, burley base with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs. A shop that sells pipe tobacco in Ireland might have additional ideas about what's available that might appeal to you. I think smoking in pubs in Ireland has been banned, so that dependable old resource is no longer there.

invoxx

Lurker
Aug 21, 2018
Ireland/Russia
Thank you so much for your recommendations!
Aren't there any decent tobacconists in Dublin with a homepage?
I'm afraid not a lot. And the choice is pretty limited - mostly Peterson tobaccos. I'm having really hard time findng pipe related stuff here :(

Status
Not open for further replies.