PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Lately I've been finding myself bewildered by the terminology of tobacco and it various attributes. Does anyone know of a single article (there are many individual ones I'm sure) that comprehensively discusses tobacco for pipes? Defining a Burley from an English for instance, and what their qualities are, that sort of thing. That way I can print it out and study it for future purchases. Thanks.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
No, I don't think I've heard of it. Thanks for the tip! Edit: I just bookmarked it. Great. Something else to use up hours of reading time! 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone could emulate the old Peterson's Guides to birds of various regions with a trim little book on

tobaccos. The challenge would be to spare it down so it gives a lot of substantive information in a

concise format. I think it could take a whole (small) book of maybe sixty pages with good illustrations,

either photos or botanical drawings. Even Peterson couldn't quite clarify all the separate species of

warblers, but by in large, he did an incredible job. I think he's been superseded to some degree, but

I'm not sure the more recent bird field guides are quite as well ordered and as quick to use.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Sparrowhawk:
I'm sure there's probably something on the Internet if you just keep digging.
My personal preference for this, though, is to stick with books. I am constantly recommending Carl Ehwa's Book of Pipes & Tobaccos, the best one-volume book on pipe smoking I've ever read. It's packed with solid information, color photos and tons of historical exhibits. The only caveat is that it was published in the early 1970s, so any changes to the marketplace since then are not covered. (For instance, Ehwa describes Syrian production of latakia as a historical fact, not a current reality. At that point, Syria wasn't producing any latakia. We're currently in that same situation. But there have been some amazing crops in the intervening years.)
I'd also recommend Milton Sherman's All About Tobacco. It's a much shorter book, but it provides some nice material that Ehwa doesn't get into (such as recipes for blending your own mixtures).
Of course, these books are long out of print. But they can often be found at used bookstores as well as on Amazon, ABEBooks.com, and Alibris.com. Amazon currently has a reseller offering Ehwa's book for under $22, which is a real bargain. Sherman's book also can be found there, for less than $10.
BTW: "Defining a Burley from an English for instance."
Burley is a specific type of tobacco. It tends to have a slight nutty flavor but it's mildly flavored enough to make it the go-to leaf when adding aromatic flavorings. It's also known as being the tobacco leaf with the highest nicotine content (among standard, commonly used leaf at least). A variety of burley is used in the creation of perique.
An "English" is a blend of various tobaccos that, historically, has included Virginias and latakia, often orientals as well, and, less frequently, perique. (And latakia, like perique, is not a specific variety of tobacco; it's an oriental leaf that has been cured over smoldering myrtle branches. It's currently produced only in Cyprus. But when we're lucky, it's also produced in Syria; Syrian latakia is more fragrant and "delicate" than the Cypriot variety.)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.