PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I am still learning how to properly prepare tobacco and what to do with various cuts of tobacco. At this moment I am drying out some Dunbar after giving it a gentle rub. I am going to loosely pack the pipe and enjoy a nice long smoke and a book at the local park.
PC010691.jpg

So how do you prepare you tobacco? Any tips or tricks?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
One thing I have learned over the years is to make sure when you are packing the pipe, get the sides around the bowl at each level. Also you want to make sure there is enough resistance like sipping through a straw. A loose pack will burn too fast and get hot. I personally would rather pack it too tight than too lose, if it is a little tight after the initial lights, you can use a pipe cleaner through the stem to loosen it up a bit. I think a lot of new pipe smokers problems result from too loose a pack instead of too tight. Everyone preaches hardly use any pressure when packing, hell I put lots of pressure on the third and final pack insuring I have the proper amount of resistance.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Ya definitely got my mouth watering with that pipe and tobacco combination. Looks like a nice pipe for that tobacco. That should, if properly packed, be an almost euphoric experience.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I swear there is something magic about this pipe. I still have yet to load her to the brim. Working my way up to that. Somehow about 5 minutes into the bowl, the flavor begins to change. It goes from ordinary tobacco to a bunch of subtle flavors of sweetness and a peppery spice. It is a fantastic smoke. The best part is that I met 2 more pipe smokers at the dog park and may have convinced them to join my pipe club.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I wish I had more patience to dry out my baccy before loading. Most I got was five minutes then load er up. No problems so far though. I don't mind a couple of relights. If it still seems moist (usually not) I'll load a liiitle bit looser.
That is a really nice pipe there. I must not continue to look at it as I'm trying to concentrate on my TAD stock at the moment ( thank to no small part by cigrmaster) haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.