PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Just cracked one of my "ancient" tins as it was starting to show sign of rust on the outside and I didn't want to take a chance of the stuff going bad. Look at this delicious tobacco after 12 years of aging!!!
stjamesn.jpg

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I couldn't resist and had a little "sample" while jarring it up :-O Heaven on earth!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Trapped in a tin for 12 years... Stuff will start growing on you too!
It will not make you delicious though.
Thanks for the photo.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoked some old aged tobacco with that white stuff on it. It tasted good, and my pee pee didn't fall off, so I guess it's OK. :lol:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I smoked some old tobacco with that white stuff on it. It tasted good, and my pee pee didn't fall off, so I guess it's OK.
Thanks, I now have coffee on my desk and coming out of my nose

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Congratulations on your patience! Glad it didn't rust through, but I've heard sometimes the rust comes through from the inside so I'm glad it wasn't this time. Enjoy!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks Roth and Cortez, you ruined a perfectly good T shirt. Coffee down the front and on my keyboard. The last time I saw that sort of phrasing, my grandmother told me to zip up my pants before my pee pee got out of the barn. OR something.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Oh man you're killing me. Had to open the box and take a look at all my 1 year old and not even close. Any chance for a small trade for a flake?

Dec 24, 2012
Curious about the rust - if there's rust, obviously there is metal in the tin. I thought the tins were made of aluminum -as I understand it, aluminum can corrode but I don't think it rusts per se. Anybody know?

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
It's not plume, I think that it's anthrax. I live near a hazardous waste disposal plant, so send it to me and I'll see that it is disposed of properly.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
I am wanting to know as peck is. Do you live in a coastal environment maybe?

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Corrosion is just the general term for rust (oxidation of iron) ;-)

In any case, the corrosion was not red/brown like you'd see in a metal tin, but rather black/green/blueish. Below a picture. The whole inside rim area of the tin was like that:
photoynn.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I am way out of my league here, but my understanding is that (unlike steal, which rusts and therefore degrades) if aluminum oxidizes, the oxidized aluminum actually forms a strong coating as it replaces the original aluminum on the surface. In fact, oxidized aluminum is known for being even stronger than unoxidized aluminum.
Any chemical engineers in the house?

Dec 24, 2012
Thatis interesting Roth, because I thought I had understood that most of the tin manufacturers had moves to Aluminum. Curious to know for sure. A quick google search turned this up:
"When iron rusts, it forms iron oxide—a reddish, powdery substance that quickly flakes off to expose fresh metal, which immediately begins to rust, and so on until your muffler falls off. But when aluminum rusts, it forms aluminum oxide, an entirely different animal. In crystal form, aluminum oxide is called corundum, sapphire or ruby (depending on the color), and it is among the hardest substances known. If you wanted to design a strong, scratchproof coating to put on a metal, few things other than diamond would be better than aluminum oxide. By rusting, aluminum is forming a protective coating that’s chemically identical to sapphire—transparent, impervious to air and many chemicals, and able to protect the surface from further rusting: As soon as a microscopically thin layer has formed, the rusting stops. (“Anodized” aluminum has been treated with acid and electricity to force it to grow an extra-thick layer of rust, because the more you have on the surface, the stronger and more scratch-resistant it is.)"

Status
Not open for further replies.