PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Joe should you deal with a tobacco pouch that has a disintgrating latex liner? Mine don't last more than a couple of years. Should I just cut out the shreds of latex and use the bare leather alone as the liner, or is there a different type if pouch to use?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, took me a moment, but "Joe" must be "how". (!)
Me, I'm cheap thrifty, so I'd remove all the lining, clean it well, and press on. Tobacco will dry out much faster, though.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
The couple I have are cheap like $10 so I would just get a new one.
Michael do you know what the brand is on the one that's leather lined?
Anyone try those Jobey lambskin zip pouches?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I was just in the B&M next to my office and they had a beautiful Dunhill zip up pouch that was the softest leather I think I have ever held and the interior looked to be leather lined as well. It was $90. I'd rather spend $10 and get one that falls apart after a couple of years. Throw it out and buy another. At that rate I could probably spend $90 worth of those pouches over the next 30 years.
Dunhill Zip Pouch

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Both roll-ups I have the liners have bought the farm so I use a heavier gauge ziplock bag inside it. Allows me to make room for a pipe nail and box of matches. Most days I carry my tobacco in a Go Tubb made by Humangear..... think a smaller plastic Baccyflap style.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I usually have to fill my pouch at least twice a day (I use the Peterson pouch that opens up with a flat bottom) do I wonder if Kate's in my pouches is really an issue--i go through tobacco to fast to have a chance to dry out.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have a couple nice peterson ones I use, but have never actually put tobacco in them. They are combo pouches so pipes fit in and the latex area gets matches and tampers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a Tim West lambskin. The inside is sheep stomach. Have had it a few years, and has held up very well.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I've been wanting to make a leather tobacco pouch but I am worried that the smell from the leather will impact the tobacco. Has anyone experienced this happening?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Just to relieve everyone's mind, the blasted spell checker changes words around. "JOE" and "kate" are spell check gremlins.

Like drwatson, I have a terrific Peterson pipe carrier with accessories pocket and compartment for baccy that that I used for car trips.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I've made a few leather pouches and have typically turned them inside out and carefully wrapped them with a cellophane packing tape. Get them right ways around and voila, a lined leather pouch. I've noticed no issues from the tape and it does keep the baccy from drying out so quickly.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I gave up on tobacco pouches years ago. The only time I carry tobacco with me is when I travel, and I typically just bring the tin, or a cellophane pouch of Amphora.

Status
Not open for further replies.