PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveva

Lurker
Nov 14, 2013
I have an old Ben Wade pipe tobacco pouch, originally manufactured in West Germany. It was my grandfather's. Over the years the rubber liner disintegrated. Can anyone recommend a repair shop that might be able to replace the liner - and here's a stretch - recondition the leather? It has a lot of sentimental value. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
steveva,
I am not sure where you live but any upholstery shop that does leather repair would work. I would look for custom car or motorcycle shops also. I am lucky of where I grew up because there are a lot of Amish folk that can repair anything.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
steveva:
I have a pouch of Moroccan leather which belonged to my late maternal grandfather who passed well before I was born, and it had the same problems which you described with yours. I removed its dried, crumbling lining, and now use the pouch to carry my lighter, tamper, and pipe-cleaners.
Regarding its pebble-textured leather, I cleaned it with Lexol Leather Cleaner and a toothbrush, and then treated it Blackrock Leather'N'Rich. Lexol is available at most shoe-repair shops. The Blackrock I purchased at a saddle and tack shop.
I hope that this information is useful to you.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
To thoroughly clean old leather before reconditioning I highly recommend Fiebing's Glycerine Saddle Soap and I prefer the bar product. It absolutely will not harm old leather, exotics or anything else. I use a small damp sponge to apply the soap from the bar to the leather. You will get a small amount of lather but not much, and it will have kind of a waxy feel to it. I use it on anything leather from saddles to boots.
To condition and protect the leather after cleaning I use Bickmore's Bick 4. Bickmore's has a full line of products so you might want to read their description of each and select something other than #4. I have just found #4 to be the best overall for everything I do. Multiple treatments of the product are helpful in reconditioning old, weathered leather.
Stay away from anything with silicone in it. Silicone is generally not good for leather. If you must use silicone for some reason, use only food grade silicone.
http://shop.fiebing.com/c/leather-boot-care_leather-care_glycerine-saddle-soap-bar
http://www.bickmore.com

Status
Not open for further replies.