Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
So I have two pipe tobacco pouches with latex lining, the typical fold over twice kind. My question is if I transfer over an ounce or two from a bulk bag into this pouch how long will the tobacco stay smokeable before it gets too dry?

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
I have a Savinelli pouch like style you describe and I usually get 2-3 days. I only ever really use it when I'm going camping for the weekend and need to be able to carry enough tobacco with me in a convenient manner and to last for a weekend trip.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Depends. If you use one of those clever little silver coins you soak in water then quite a while. I never have those issues as I blast through a pouch a day so nothing has the time to dry out. You might want to get one of those yellow oil skin tobacco pouches as they are pretty good. My Father purchased one for me in 81 and it is still going strong all these years later.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
My advise is to simply put your tobacco contents into an "air-tight" jar every night and give a "spray" to the underside lid of the humidor if the tobacco in that device feels dry and does not "clump" with a tight pinch.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I already know I'll get flack for this, but I use a slice of apple, just like Grandpa. If I ever find those silver coin things, I'll definately give them a try.
Keep in mind though, we don't all live close to pipedom civilization!

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
dottiewarden: No flack from me. My mother used to put a slice of bread in with her cookies and it ended up making them a little 'moister' (probably not the right word), but it took the crunch out if they had dried some. Tried it once with a tin of tobacco. A slice of bread overnight and the tobacco rehydrated nicely and no flavour imparted.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Depends on where you live as well. I live in the dessert so If I dont use a ziplock bag and a hydrastone, my baccy will be dry within a few hours. Just throw it in a bag and put it in your pouch and you should be good for a few days at least.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Thank you all for the tips! I have actually used a clementine peel in the past to rehydrate a few ounces of PSLNF and it worked our really well. Wonder if that would work in the pouch as well.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I also don't have this problem. I fill my pouch before leaving the house in the morning and smoke the entire pouch the same day and refill the next morning again. When I go on a trip, I just bring a jar and figure on an ounce per day to play it safe. I don't smoke that much, but better safe than sorry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not promoting drying out your tobacco, but most leaf smokes fine for quite a while after it feels

"too dry." I think if you had to smoke a supply of tobacco out of pouches for two weeks, or three,

it would probably smoke well enough, if you're camping or traveling. Not recommended procedure,

but not a problem. We get spoiled at home with our nice sealable jars, but in a pinch, most blends

smoke dry for quite a while.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Thanks MSO, I have to say I have been surprised at how some tobaccos will get to a crispy point that I assume must mean is bad and yet still smoke very well. At the same time I have a new pouch of Carter Hall that smoked easily even though I feared it would be goopy. I think my take away will be that no matter what the temperature is don't knock it til you try it.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Well, dryer is better than wetter!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.