PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
I have encountered a few people on here who state that this tobacco doesn't smoke well in this pipe, and this pipe doesn't work well with this kind of tobacco etc. Can someone elaborate on this? In my journey in the world of pipe smoking, I haven't found a tobacco that doesn't work well in a particular pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes complex blends, that is blends with three or more tobaccos with distinctive flavors, seem to unfold better in pipes with wide bowls, maybe because you have more different leaf burning at once and it mixes better. Whereas, a Va/Per blend sometimes seems to go better in smaller pipes to focus those flavors. One of my best pairings is with the burley variant Tabac Manil Semois (Belgium leaf) in a large, deep billiard bowl that just seems to bring up the nuances of that single leaf in a unique way.
Take it or leave it, but a metaphor might be an orchestra often sounds better in a larger space where the dimensions of the sounds can resonate, and often it sounds best from midway to the back of the house for the best mix, whereas a string quartet may give its best quality in a smaller room.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I like a tall, narrow chamber for straight tobacco types. Flakes in a Dunhill 3 or 4 and a square bowl for lats.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Although I may throw any blend into any chamber dimesion while on the go, I've actually found pairing blends with specific pipes can often make a significant difference. Just one recent example is with a blend that I didn't particularly like, Peterson Sherlock Holmes, until I smoked it in a large chambered billiard and wow. I can't say I'll repurchase the blend, but that particular pipe definitely works best for that blend. The idea is to try out new blends in different pipe shapes and sizes. You'll find some blends smoke well in any pipe, yet other seem to do better in certain pipes.
I also like the way mso489 makes the comparison between types of music and their appropriate venues.
Happy sipping!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I concur with what's already been said, and ill add that the strength and /or flavor intensity of a blend may dictate different pipes. For example, you might get much more from a mild blend out of a wider bowl. For example, non Latakia oriental blends really bloom for me in bigger pipes, whereas I found them a little boring in smaller pipes.
One thing I've been doing over the past year or so is keeping a note on my iPhone of each new pipe/tobacco combo I've tried and whether I liked it. About a third of them are "NOs"

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I smoke mainly aros, VaPers, and virginias. For aros I like big pipes, large deep and wide bowls, to allow the flavours room to expand. I like small, narrow bowls for VaPers and flakes as I find it gives the best level of flavours from Virginias without getting bland. It's what ever works for you as different people like different things. Most people say "flakes in a small pipe" while Greg Pease enjoys a large pot for flakes and I'm not about to tell him that he's wrong. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.