PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Can someone tell me why the tobacco auctions on eBay always say that the cost is for the packaging (which is collectible) and while the tin/pouch is sealed the tobacco inside in not for consumption. Is this to get around some test from eBay?

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Well, I understand bureaucratic hoops...I live in California.
Do I have any recourse if the tobacco is bad?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
You'll have to check to see what the seller allows...Usually they don't allow returns...and Ebay doesn't allow tobacco to be sold. wink wink :crazy:

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
You can always file a claim that the item is "not as described". I have read rants where ebay always sides with the buyer but take that for what it is worth on the interent from angry people.
This is true for sure -------------->>>>> "The whole thing is a joke."
I tried to sell some baccy on their and it got shut down and yet they allowed a bunch of auctions to go thru. I think they crack down now and again but really don't mind the extra $$ it generates. If someone complains about an auction they shut it down, if not, they turn a blind eye.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
All too true. Going to take a risk. Let you know if I'm lucky.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If you're buying anything Esoterica or JF Germain related, then chances are they're fresh packages/tins from the last couple months. Most people that sell tobacco on ebay sell brand new stuff to make a quick buck. Unless it says its older tobacco where the seller lists the age, chances are its brand new. I doubt you'll have any issues with the tobacco except you might not like that particular blend.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Agree with those above, items can be sold for "collectible packaging". I have bought several tins, some opened, some sealed. I doubt you'll have a case if the tobacco is bad, but if it is sold as "sealed" and the seal's been broken by the time you receive it, then you'll have a case with ebay.
Touch wood, it's never happened to me. I've bought some old sealed tins that I do genuinely keep for collectible, but that's another debate altogether!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
If you're buying anything Esoterica or JF Germain related, then chances are they're fresh packages/tins from the last couple months.
I know this happens because I got away with it ONE time then got shut down. One of the Bay's "rules" is that the "collectable tin" is supposed to be out of production. They enforce ALL of they're rules very sporadically. I've been shut down three or four times, spread out over about 18 months.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It's important to remember that even a sealed tin that looks good from the outside is no garantee of tobacco that is ready to smoke. Tins rust from the inside out and time can simply do its thing. IMHO tobacco on eBay is a calculated risk, one I used to take quite often. I have had a seller or two strategically hide rust through holes etc. then I bitch.

Mike S.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
It's important to remember that even a sealed tin that looks good from the outside is no garantee of tobacco that is ready to smoke.
It's been mentioned here, on the forum, of buying tins off ebay and finding them to be advertising tins; sealed with no tobacco in them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never bought tobacco on ebay and don't plan to. There are too many ways for a seller to unload bad tobacco. The age of a tobacco can never be known except for GL Pease and McClellend as they put dates on their tins. Anyone can write a false age on their tins. I know one seller who blatantly lied about the age of his tins and even after I proved to him his age was wrong he would not change them.
A seller can always unload dried out tobacco and there is no recourse for getting your money back.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I just now noticed a huge increase in the number of tins for sale. Did ebay change their policy again? Our favorite shiny restorer even has 40 listed most of which are current production. Ebay is so awful with their policy enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.