Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
So, this is kinda lengthy, but bear w/me.
Christmas 2012, I was at the in-laws, so I of course needed some alone time, away from the madness. I brought my Bjarne Viking slight bent apple and some Basin St. Blues from Altadis. It was gifted to me from my father on my birthday (early Oct).
The pipe was pretty new, smoked only a few times, and I was determined to break it in over Christmas. I smoked everyday (just once a day). We were staying in my wife's old room, which was pretty cold. Great for sleeping, but didn't want to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
So, I'm wondering, if because the tobacco was stored cold for awhile (and I swear it was only 50 degrees, if that, in there), and I smoked outside, did this have something to do with the tobacco tasting AMAZING? Or was it because that was the only tobacco I smoked out of that pipe for about a week?
Been toying with the idea of putting a small jar in the fridge (in a drawer, away from the light) to see if this helps flavor. Might be too cold (things freeze towards the back, but this makes it great for beer). I have a small dorm fridge from college that only gets down to about 42-44 degrees.
So, I figure that since the tobacco is in a jar, it should be air tight, and moisture content shouldn't be an issue. Am I nuts for thinking this?

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
oh, and I know that down South, the stores keep their chewing tobacco in a fridge, so it stays fresh until it is purchased. Also seen some Camel Snus tins in a special little cooler in my local B&M (they also carry General Snus, straight from Sweden!)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Probably smoking it for a week in the same pipe, pipe was broken in with the taste most likely. I can't see any benefit to storing tobacco in the fridge, just keep it air tight in a mason jar.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
+1 for cold weather making a smoke more enjoyable, as long as you aren't freezing. I'd also side with it being the pipe temperature not the temperature of the tobacco. I don't think refrigerating it in a sealed container is detrimental but I can't say for certain as I have never seen the need to do so... It manages to stay fresh as long as it's dark and dry and not a million degrees out.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Typically storing tobacco in a refrigerator is a horrible idea since most refrigerators are of the frost free variety. Frost free refrigerators work by removing moisture from the air. So unless your tobacco is absolutely air tight you run the risk of dehydrating your tobacco.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
never thought about the temp keeping the pipe cooler (from the outside) to contribute to a cooler smoke. I also think that drawing in colder air from outside may have contributed to a cooler smoke.
Also, smoking the same tobacco in that pipe for a week must have helped too. I'm trying to smoke just 1 eng/lat, 1 VA, and 1 aro at a time, until they're gone. It was really tough early on, because I was new and had so many different types. Only having 1 jar forced me to smoke just 1 tobacco.
When I'm home, I have so many options! We'll see if I can stick to my plan

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Stay away from the fridge, never put your tobacco in it. You probably enjoyed that blend because it might have gotten rid of the ghost in your pipe. Smoking three different categories of tobacco in the same pipe will not allow you to appreciate any one blend. I dedicate my pipes to particular categories i.e Va, Vaper and Vabur.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Seems like a cold tobacco would not perform well unless the air is very cold, otherwise I would expect a lot of condensation (from the overly cold tobacco being hit by a very hot flame), resulting in a wet, gurgly pipe.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Whenever I try a new tobacco, I smoke 50-100g of this tobacco exclusively, until I have made up my mind, if to stock up on it, or dump it. You get to know a tobacco much better, if you focus on it. Other tobaccos, with different cut or moisture content, let alone general taste profile differences, like Balkan/VaPer/Aro, only distract during this process. In your case, you got a better connection with this specific tobacco and enjoyed it more, than mixing it into the rotation. Of course, outside cold can influence the taste for the better, too. Tobacco temperature before lighting up has nothing to do with it.
Best Regards,

Peter

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Fridge will rob moisture from the tobacco..... avoid it like the plague.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Been toying with the idea of putting a small jar in the fridge (in a drawer, away from the light) to see if this helps flavor
I'm pretty sure the light turns out when you close the door... just sayin

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
do you put the distilled water in the cat litter??? How does the cat get the door open?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
IMO, your tobacco tasted better because you were concentrating and smoking only one blend during your entire visit with the in-laws, instead of being home and trying a bowl of this, followed by a bowl of that, and then a bowl of yet another. To "get" the nuances of a blend, it does help a great deal to spending some time with it so as to truly appreciate it. It's also important to note that you were smoking one bowl a day in the same pipe, which again helped you focus better on the nuances of the tobacco.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.