PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I started putting some of my tobacco in jars and realized I should know more.

How tight should the tobacco be packed? I read that a full jar is better than half full, to eliminate air, but I am not sure if it makes a difference if a jar is full or PACKED full.

I really like the jars for storage, I don't have many yet, but this looks like the way to go for sure.
I seem to get from 4 to 5 ounces of tobacco in a pint jar.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For long term storage I pack non-flake tobacco about as firmly as I'd pack a pipe. I like to leave a little room at the top if I can. 4 or 5 oz. seems tight to me -- unless it's a flake.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
In the half pint (8oz) jars I can get 2 to 2.5 oz of ribbon cut tobacco in the jar comfortably. In the pint (16oz) jars I can get 4 to 5 oz of ribbon cut tobacco in the jar comfortably. That leaves a little bit of room in the jar. Depending on the tobacco, and the moisture content will vary your amounts in each jar.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
OK, thanks guys. That seems to line up with what I found. The fluffy ribbon cut 12 ounce bag of aromatic stuff took 3 jars... full. Some others fit nicely. I repacked some pouch tobacco and found that three 1.5 ounce portions fit nicely.
I found some honey jars that someone gave me. The six sided jars look nice and hold 3 ounces nicely. This one has Russ's Candy Corn blend in it.
36471093583_49dc7dd126_z_d.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I mostly smoke flake tobacco and when I buy it in bulk I will sometimes rub out a full box (250g) and cram it nice and hard into a bail top jar.
Other times I will pack three boxes worth (750g) into a larger jar whilst leaving the entire flakes in their ziplock bags...just in case.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cram it! I say. The tobacco that is, as tight as she'll go.
Now, those nice looking jars- great for some months, but I'd not go long term with them as the seal is likely compromised. OTOH, it might be fine....

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Tobacco Mason/Ball jar storage: jar volume by tobacco weight

My experience (rule-of-thumb): 1/4 of the jar's volume, contingent on the cut & dryness of the tobacco:

Jelly jar (4 oz volume) = 1.72-2 oz plugs; 1 oz tobacco

Half-pint (8 oz volume) = 2 oz tobacco

Pint (16 oz volume) = 4 oz tobacco

Quart (32 oz volume) = 8 oz tobacco
1 lb tobacco should fit in 2 one-quart jars or 4 one-pint jars or 8 half-pint jars (the latter favored by some to minimize disruption of aging when opening larger jars)
Wide mouth jars are easier to pack & remove tobacco.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Nevada, Unless those honey jars have a built in gasket your tobacco will dry out over time. Mason jars are the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.