Tags:  No tags yet. 

Tobacco house with most and best quality Aromatics

(23 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by napulitano215
  • Latest reply from reniaeats
  1. napulitano215

napulitano215

Login to Send PM

Hey guys I'm into aromatics big time and still a newbie so what are the best quality aromatic houses? That are known for their quality aromatic pipe tobaccos and and have a lot of them to offer. Thank you again guys ( also sucks but gotta put up an exhaust fan in my man cave in the basement to get smell out of room a lil' quicker wife don't know... And neither does landlord :•0 hehehe don't want the smell to stick around in the room a lot. Anyway guys sorry for the rant

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boswell's look no further!

John
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Lane Limited

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. napulitano215

napulitano215

Login to Send PM

Thanks Dr.Watson love the avatar pic :•]

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. napulitano215

napulitano215

Login to Send PM

Thank u as well brother will look into both houses I have Lanes 1Q I will explore more with them

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boswell's look no further!
    Pretty much sums it up...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boswell's. A father and son team that's been making their own for 40 years.

Of course Lane products are basically what 99% of all tobacconists buy and put in jars with their own names, so there's nothing wrong with any of that.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipeworks & Wilke have a number of very high quality aros, too.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Pipeworks & Wilke have a number of very high quality aros, too."

+1 on the venerable firm of Pipeworks & Wilke! Here is a link (Pipeworks & Wilke) to the Tobaccos section of their Website.

Additionally, Brian interviewed Ms. Carole Burns, the company's proprietress, during the August 4, 2015 edition of The Pipes Magazine Radio Show (Brian's Interview of Carole Burns), and you might find what she had to say to be helpful in your search for best-quality aromatic pipe-tobaccos.

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would look at McClelland. The Townsmen series is very good as are a number of their offerings.

Mike S.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Gawith & Hoggarth, of course.

"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable". Frank Zappa (Yeah, baby; yeah!)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren makes some really good aros as well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Dan Tobacco

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boswell's and Pipeworks & Wilke. Have dealt with and purchased from both shops. Excellent service and product.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When you say "aromatics" are you referring to (typically second-rate) burleys topped with copious amounts of flavored liquids? In that case best-quality is a moot question. If when you say "aromatics" you mean a natural mixture that has a really nice aroma, then that's a whole nother ballgame.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2+ on Lane Limited. Aros from very mild to heavy duty but mostly in the mild-medium strength range. If you want people to know you are around, Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce, albeit harder to keep lighted, fits the bill and do a number of this line. Keep in mind that aromatic is a rather vague term in that some of the so-called aros that I smoke are not particularly aromatic.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

anchovyd

Login to Send PM

You might want to check out G.L. Pease's The Vanilla Cream. It is due out in a few weeks and sounds like it might be good. He doesn't seem to have much aromatic experience but his description sounds tasty. It'll be fun to compare it to the other Vanilla Creams out there from Mac Baren, Stokkebye and others.

If you don't want to wait, the big aromatic houses are Lane, Stokkebye and Sutliff. I would try a few from each as they each have their own style and you migt end up digging one house more than the others. Pease's blends are normally full blown latakia mixes so it will be interesting to see what his take on an aromatic is.

It's a great time to be an aromatic pipe smoker, looks like all tobacco manufacturers are jumping on the aro bandwagon and some more good aros are bound to result.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cornell & Diehl, MacBaren, Gawith Hoggarth, Samuel Gawith, Boswell, Sutliff.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think I would shop by house. I would find flavors you like and go to quality blenders, who will do a good job. If I were into aros, I think I'd check out C&D Autumn Evening. Despite the somewhat Thomas Kinkade name, it smells delicious, like a Waffle House with extra syrup. I use a packet of AE to keep a drawer smelling good and every time I open it I get hungry. My tobacco uses does not parallel a need for food, but stimulus of other kinds, so it does not appeal to me but if you like aros, I bet it's a corker.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm mostly a non-aromatic smoker, that is, I like mostly blends with no flavorings other than tobacco, and as few other added ingredients such as casings. However, it appears to me after shopping blends for some years that aromatics predominate the market. Nearly all of the larger pipe tobacco blenders, and dozens of smaller ones, feature aromatics conspicuously in their inventory of offerings. That can only mean that it is the high percent of their revenue stream. So I think you pretty much have your run of the brands, just depending on what you like, which in turn means you have to shop a lot, learn a lot, and sample a lot in small quantities to find what you like. In that process, you may also find yourself liking non-aromatic blends. The selection online for both non-aro and aromatics is incredibly expansive. It will take you years to sample even a small segment of the market. This may not seem so helpful, but it gives you perspective on what's out there.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a non-aromatic smoker. However, I got a tin of Larsen 150 in the goody bag for the dinner at the Chicago Pipe Show. This is a very light aro, and I have enjoyed it - enough that I have considered trying some of their other blends.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

Given the OP asks about Most AND Best I have to go with Sutliff, myself, with Peter Stokkebye in second place.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. reniaeats

reniaeats

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of Ashton Guilty Pleasure and some of Peterson's limited edition blends (this year's Special Reserve is nice). I don't know of one house that I like all their Aromatics across the board though. McClelland would probably come closest.

Renia
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cfreud, mikey517, burleyboy, georged, haparnold, pepesdad1, lawdawg, the85boro