PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Now I know this topic has been talked about alot, but I haven't read an answer to my specific question. I have 4 pipes, two briars and two meerschaums, that I smoke. I use the meerschaums strictly for my english blends and the briars for my aros. When I am puttering about the house or yard, I like to have a pipe to keep my mouth busy along with my hands, and I use my briars for that; I don't want to inadvertently drop or smack my meerschaums. Lately, my tastes have been in englishes, but I don't want to smoke my meers while working. So here is my question: if I smoke englishes in my briars, will they tend to ghost more easily than the aros? Or in other words, once I smoke an english in a briar, can I still get the same great aro smoke out of the same pipe?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My best suggestion would be to buy another briar for your English blends. It's been my experience that some pipes are more easily ghosted than others. If I have a ghosted pipe, I'll do a whiskey/salt treatment and that usually takes care of it. If its not too bad, you can smoke a few bowls of Carter Hall in it and it will help. But if I were you I would just go get me a MM cob or a Dr. Graybow!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I tried moving one of my pipes dedicated to english's back into my aro rotation and it I could still taste my english blend in my aros. Now, for some of the are blends I smoke that necessarily was not a bad thing. However it never gave me my Aro smoke I wanted. So like Pets03 suggested order up a couple of cobs to putter around with some english blends!

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
You'll probably need to dedicate one briar to English or buy a new pipe. I've moved pipes from aro to English and even aro to Va/Per, but only one very seldom smoked pipe from English to aro. It still has a bit of English taste, but I actually like it because I'm not a huge aro fan-it gives them some body and more "tobacco" flavor. I'm guessing this isn't what you're looking for, though, os rothnh et all are probably right on. PAD time!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe the English ghost will completely alter the taste of your aro's so either a new briar or a couple of cobs would be the way to go. I find the only thing that ghosts a pipe worse than English blends are Lakeland's.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I always recommend dedicating specific pipes to specific blends (or very similar blends). My experience in doing this has rewarded me greatly. I generally have no less than five blends in rotation and have about seven pipes didicated to each specific (or very similar) blend. I have a total of 35 pipes for this purpose. A very excellent advantage of this style of smoking is that your pipes get needed rest between smokes. A typical day for me will be five different blends and five different pipes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.