PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I am a third generation pipe smoker. My dad smoked a pipe as did my grandfather. I had asked Dad a few days ago what Gramps used to smoke. As I recall it was Granger and a few others no longer made. So curiousity got the best of me and I located a pouch of Granger and bought it. It is a very simple smoke in my opinion. Doesn't bite or isnt harsh. I am not disappointed with it. For an OTC , not bad. Anyone else ever try this

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Haven't had a chance to try Granger, but it is on my list for a TAD order in the near future.
A lot of what are referred to as "codger burleys" are that sort of smoke - good, simple smokes that you can smoke all day. There's a place for those in my rotation - I don't smoke 'em a lot, but I enjoy them - especially in warm weather in a cob. :puffy:

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I haven’t tried Granger, but I do enjoy a couple OTC blends (Sugar Barrel & Walnut) occasionally. I prefer them in the morning with a cup of joe or when I need a low maintenance blend while working the yard or on a project in my garage.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'll second marc on this one. Whatever OTC blends are around today are very likely not the same as 30 years ago. What a shame. In the late '60's and 70's those were the blends we had for the most part.

I am thankful for today's crop of blenders. They've brought the hobby to a whole new level and for the better overall.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Granger is a dam good old simple codger burley, perfect with coffee in the morning i always have a tub or pouch sitting on the table.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I enjoy Granger, but even better is Velvet. Other American Classic Blends I smoke regularly are Carter Hall, SWR, and Ky Club Mixture.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I have tried Granger, I find it to be a pleasant smoke all the way around, I have a can in storage, I bought mine from WVsmokeshop, They have decent prices on their OTC blends, I haven't tried Velvet, but most people who mention it also say that is a good smoke. :puffy:

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I havent tried it but just found a old packet of Bear dark cut, put out by imperial tobacco nz some time ago. its not too bad need a bit of a moisture treatment as it was crumbly as. so i just used the sliced of spud method and it worked a treat! the only hassle i have is finding any info on these baccies. its in a cardboard slide packet does any one know when they stopped producing them?

any help is appreciated

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I'm with Marc and Papipeguy. Although Carter Hall is my day to day working around the house or fishing tobacco, I agree that it doesn't taste like I remember it when I began smoking it way back in the 60's. But it isn't just the OTC brands, I've experienced the same thing with Troost.

I smoked a pipe for many years then quit, I recently took it up again. Maybe it just a function of old tase buds !

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Well, I've smoked for 52 years without a break, except for a recent 10 pause. All long time blends change some over time, but for the American Classic Blends I enjoy those changes have been gradual and not really noticeable. I think memory and nostalgia can play tricks when there a lengthy break.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I recently tried Sugar Barrel and it was ok. Nothing fancy, kind of monotone just burley with a little sweet to it. I like it I. A small pipe when I want a quick smoke break.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Never tried Granger or Velvet, but I always keep a pouch of Prince Albert around.I've tried Carter Hall, but wasn't too crazy about it. PA has that little occasional sweetness that comes through which I really like.
How would you compare Granger and Velvet to PA and CH. Does either one possess that "sweetness".

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
I've recently been on an OTC mini-binge, and picked up a tub of PA, same of CH, and one more tub: Granger. They have definitely opened my eyes to a tremendous smoking experience. I will say that of the three (and I think they're all good), Granger has been the tobacco I've enjoyed most. I have no idea what the top-secret "Wellman's Process" is, but I don't care. I get a good burley-nutty taste, and a very sweet smoke, through about three-quarters of a bowl. The end of the bowl settles down into a pretty straight burley taste, at least for me. I've never had it bite, even smoking it "hot". I like the mellow undertone a cob gives it, so I went and ordered a few more from Washington, MO just for OTC's and especially for Granger.
I like it. The price is right, it's an "honest" tobacco, in that it smokes as it claims, and I really like the picture of the pointer on the tub. It's cool you gave it a shot, jeff59. Sometimes, the simple, "old-fashioned" things work just fine.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I haven't tried Granger yet, but I hope to. I really like CH, and SWRA, and have just recently tried Sugar Barrel, and Walnut, both excellent smokes in my opinion, and they will stay in my rotation.

robert76

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
Only 2 OTC blends I have tried at this point are PA and Velvet. I also have some CH that has not been opened yet. I can't complain about ether that I have tried so far. My only wish is that I could try some from 30 or 40 years ago, as so many people talk of how much better these blends where then. I sort of wonder though if this is not similar to the G.L. Pease article on the home page about pipes. No offense intended to the guys that actually smoked these blends back then. Just a thought. :wink: Granger is definitely on my list to try.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I just know that I like them now, what they tasted like 30 years ago is irrelevant since I doubt anyone has any 30 year old OTC's for me to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.