PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Fellow Smokers,

My daughter is going to England for 2 weeks right after Christmas. What kind of tobacco should I ask her to buy for me

while she is over there?

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Germain's Dark Rich Flake, we cant get it here, but it almost the clone to Esoterica Stonehaven.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
If I was going over there, I'd want some Full Virginia Flake if it was readily available.
There are a few pouches that I'd also be interested in picking up:

-St. Bruno Flake

-Mick McQuaid Plug

-Player's Navy Flake
Of course I would keep my eyes peeled for other notable brands but those are some I can think of off the top of my head. (They may not be to your tastes, however, so it doesn't hurt to read the reviews first)
I don't know anything about availability in the UK, either, so even the last three could be hard to find for all I know. They are supposedly OTCs but I've heard it is getting increasingly difficult to source such blends.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
shops are rare in England. readily available pouches are - st Bruno, gold block, condor, clan, mellow Virginia - other than that your looking at a tank of fuel to driver to a proper tobaconist.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Is St Bruno Flake easy to get or is it just the Ready Rubbed?
Seamus, what are your preferences among those listed?
As well, do they sell any kind of Capstan at all these days?
BTW, pipesicle, what part of England is your daughter visiting? London itself?

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
Simenon,
She will be in London for 4 days with her friend and then to Ipswich where he is from to meet his family and friends.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
You'll have to dig up the address to a tobacconist that will be convenient for her.
Some of the bigger ones list the blends they have in stock.
London is probably the best shot she has to find an accessible tobacconist anyway.
What kind of tobaccos do you prefer, by the way?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I wasn't sure what ones were still on the market. It seems like you can get Capstan Blue and Gold.
Know of any others?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If you want Three Nuns, have her get the tins and not the pouch.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
simenon - yes it's ready rubbed mate. out the what I call over the counter bakkis it's the one I'd smoke if I had too! my palette is still new so I can't say much. I do however like EMP and Peterson Irish oak.
pipesical - a little advice if I may. unless you find a tobacconist in London whos prices are agreeable, I would not shop in London. very aimed at the tourist and priced that way! e.g. Benson and hedges cigarettes £6 normally £8 + in London!

Ipswich I'm told has a good smoke shop. I believe it's chalked hawes.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
If I might make a suggestion...
You could browse www.mysmokingshop.co.uk (they're in Preston, about 250 miles north of London but seem to stock just about everything and are the best b&m that I've so far found in this country) and pick out what you want. Then ask your daughter's friend to order it online for you so it's already delivered and waiting for her when she gets there...

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Be prepared to pay a TON more for it than you do in the U.S. though!

keeper

Lurker
Jun 29, 2010
I must add that I've ordered from mysmokingshop.co.uk, and they have EXCELLENT customer service. Really helped me out with an order.

Status
Not open for further replies.