PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I bought some Jackknife Plug 3+ years ago. I tried one bowl and then lost the tin in the bottom of a file cabinet draw. I just found it recently and wonder if it's still smokeable. Anybody tried smoking some old tobacco from a tin that's been open that long? What can I expect? (I found some Triple Play, too.)

plainjosh

Lurker
Jul 31, 2017
If you can eat a 100 year old Pemmican. That tobacco should be fine.

From what I have read it's probably about perfect now.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I'm in Florida, so it's pretty humid outside, not so sure about humidity inside the cabinet in my closet.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I'll let you know how it tastes after I smoke some. It would be useful if I had some newer JKP to compare it to--maybe I should just buy some more and win either way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plug keeps really well. Even ribbon cut tobacco would probably be okay after only three years, but with plug there is likely no problem. Give it a try. I'm predicting no problem or perhaps slight improvement.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A plug will lose moisture much slower than ready rubbed, shag, etc.
For ten bucks or less you can get a hygrometer, which will tell you the relative humidity of both your house and tobacco, though not concurrently. (!)
It could well be perfectly smokeable now. It'll be drier on the outside than the innards.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I sliced/peeled it pretty thin and then rubbed it out. Needless to say, it didn't need any drying time. Nice dry smoke all the way, with a full, well-balance of Kentucky and Va. I haven't smoke these two together before, mostly just VA flakes, but this is stronger, and has a fuller taste than any flakes I've smoked; and the nic really kicks. Gotta take a break, eat some dinner, and finish the bowl on a full stomach. Good smoke! This is slow sipping, flavorful stuff.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I bought a Tabasco jar and it had some very old tobacco in it, very dry but smoked it.

Yes anything can be smoked.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I bought a Tabasco jar and it had some very old tobacco in it, very dry but smoked it."
George, I'm struggling to imagine how (or why) someone would get tobacco into a Tabasco bottle. The neck being so tiny and all 8O
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.