PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffsm

Lurker
Aug 21, 2014
hi this is my first post so please tell me if i am doing anything wrong

i am going to make a pipe for my uncle and also want to get him some tobacco. he currently smokes cigarets so what tobacco would you recommend?

thanks

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Just be aware that RYO tobaccos have a significantly different taste profile when smoked in a pipe. Brands like Ohm, Wildhorse, The Good Stuff, etc., are blended to be stuffed into a tube and perform comparable to the major cigarette brands. In a pipe, not so much. They smoke hot, very harsh, and burn the back of the throat. I've tried several of my brother's RYO brands in a pipe and they all were pretty nasty while as a cigarette they were fine.
The D&R blends garner pretty good reviews when smoked in a pipe but I would be very cautious with the other RYO brands that are commonly available. If it were me I would probably just get him a good old codger blend like Prince Albert or Carter Hall to serve as a cross-over.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I would personally recommend Orlik golden slice for a former cigarette smoker. I am a former cigarette smoker and I think Orlik golden slice really matches the taste profile

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That’s a hard one to call. I’m a 50+ year cigarette smoker and let’s be honest here; one doesn’t smoke cigarettes for the taste but merely for the nicotine satisfaction and nothing more. Hell, as far as I’m concerned cigarettes really don’t have that much of a discernible taste in the first place albeit everyone has their preference. As far any discernible taste I can’t see the slightest correlation with cigarettes and Orlik Golden Slice, which I thoroughly enjoy. OGS contains Perique which, in my opinion, seems quite foreign to any taste encountered with cigarettes, or at least it certainly did to me when I first encountered it. But, that’s just this old farts opinion.
Then again, the OP never once mentioned if his uncle wishes to get off of cigarettes and make a transition to pipes, or he merely wishes to give his uncle a pipe for whatever reason. Until he again chimes in here and states just what his purpose is in relation to his uncle and purchasing/making a pipe for him the original question is quite moot.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Its really two different experiences, just because he smokes, doesn't necessarily mean he'd like pipe smoking.
On that note, I tried using my favourite rolling tobacco in a pipe, and was a disastrous idea. Besides having a different taste, it ended up making my pipe reek for ages after.

coffsm

Lurker
Aug 21, 2014
i am making him a pipe and hoping that he will start smoking pipes and not cigarets but he may continue with them

thanks for all the help

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Good luck Coff. I know personally, pipes are the one thing that made me give up ciggies.
But instead of going through that much effort for what may or may not work, have you considered getting him a cheap corncob pipe?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
For a cigarette smoker trying out a pipe, Id suggest Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or my favorite when I was rolling my own, Bugler Gold(a sweeter burley). Any of these can be smoked in a pipe.
BTW, Burley tobacco is what cigarettes are made of generally so this might be a clue of what he may enjoy. Warn him not to smoke it too fast or the experience will not be pleasant to his tongue.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
As a longtime cig smoker, let me recommend Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Kendal Ky, Burley Flake #2 and OLD JOE KRANTZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.