Tobacco Flavoring

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mikephillips
  • Latest reply from mikephillips
  1. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm trying to figure out what some of the flavorings used in tobacco production are, and how they're applied. Both the casing, and the top-note. Nothing necessarily specific, but some basic guidelines are what I'm looking for. I've read some things that give general terms, but nothing that might keep me from wasting 20 pounds of tobacco in trial and error. I'm curious about the differences between American style aromatics that are mild and wet/goopy, and something like Royal Yacht that's dry in the tin, very robust and smokes much better. I'm also curious about the sort of casings that are used in tobaccos like Escudo, Macbaren's Navy flake, etc. I know the latter has scents/flavors added, but the former is just cased (I think).

No, I'm not going into tobacco production, except for myself in a very limited way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're looking at so many combinations it would be an hour post. Do a little Net surfing, I have some crazy ideals myself for a later time. Mine will require a tobacco press

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, the combination possibilities are infinite, that's why I'm not looking for specifics, but more along the lines of how basic casings and toppings are formulated, and how they're applied. I can grab a bucket of molasses and douche a pound of tobacco in it, dry it and then spray it with some vanilla extract, squeeze it for a few days then dry and smoke it, but I'd like to get a tad more refined on my first attempt than that.

I've built a rudimentary press, easy enough to do if you have a torch, welder, some spare metal laying around and a 20 ton bottle jack you're not using.

Net surfing has resulted in zero usable info.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd suggest watching the videos here that highlight a tour of the C&D factory -- where their flavorings are lined up in bottles like the bank of flavorings at Starbucks -- and the MacBaren factory (where if it isn't cased it isn't tobacco). It's been a while since I've seen them, but you may actually get some glimpses of how things are done at C&D.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kevin posted info about casings and toppings recently here...

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/a-tale-of-two-syrups-casings-and-top-dressings/

Hope this helps!

Russ
    Smoking a pipe is true relaxation...everything else is too much like work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Recently? lol

That article was great, and Russ's comment after the article was also a nugget of information.

People have been topping their own tobacco for years, usually using liquor. They real key is to use something with an alcohol base, so liquor and extracts work the best. In the case of liquor, it can used straight, but extracts should probably be thinned with vodka or water as the flavor might be too concentrated. To do it, just add the flavor, mix thoroughly and let it sit in an open container, turning every few hours until the moisture level feels right.

Russ

Thin it out with alcohol, spray it on in varying amounts so you can later determine how much you want on it, turn it every so often, and smoke it once you've let the flavors settle/absorb into the tobacco. Dry and smoke.

It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Go to the Video Library ( in the Sticky Posts that Ironically Get Ignored) and look for the Mac Baren and Orlik video tours. You may learn some interesting things there.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/video-library-interviews-retailers-pipe-makers-blenders-amp-factory-tours

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Kevin, I've watched 'em all a couple of times. Pretty informative, but mostly in general terms. I'm going to be playing with some whole leaf uncased tobaccos here soon, and I'm trying to get a handle on the method I need to use to apply a casing to different tobaccos so they're not harsh and unsmokeable as a completed project, without ruining several pounds on my first try, or being forced to stretch the experiment into a year long pain in the ass by working with only a few ounces at a time. I'll do it this way if necessary, but would much rather get some basic information as to how to case different tobaccos before processing into a finished product.

What's my goal, or end-game, you might ask? Well, a couple of things, but chief among them is to come up with a tobacco Just For Me. An all day smoke that's not too light but not too full, with a nice but not intense flavor, a tolerable room note, with no bite or poor burning characteristics. Should I attain that goal...well, I'll cross that bridge when I've arrived at it, checked it for structural integrity and the presence of any trolls.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipebow88, agnosticpipe, kcvet67, landon, voorhees, sparks, radio807, sugarcane1, weezell, lostandfound, antbauers, framitz, cdsmith, jguss