PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I'm originally from England but have only begun smoking a pipe whilst living in New Zealand and the US and order all my tobacco from US sites. We're going to be back in the UK as a family this Christmas and I'm going to bring back a couple of UK blends that I can't usually get hold of. The NZ duty laws being what they are I can only bring two 50 gram tins back with me and probably won't have opportunity to try things while I'm there.
What would you buy in my position? What are your favourite tobaccos only available in the UK?

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
matches - I live in England and smoke both English and US blends. If I were you, I would chose one of the plugs that aren't available elsewhere - Warrior, Revor, Condor - plus Germain's Rich Dark Flake. Please PM me if you need a hand sourcing anything before you arrive.
Andy

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
The house blends from GQ Tobaccos are said to be very good (I recently purchased a few, but haven't had time to try any yet): http://www.gqtobaccos.com/

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
St Bruno.
Mind you, the plugs mentioned by andystewart would be an excellent choice.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
StBruno70 - no surprise there.
lestrout - unfortunately the allowance only applies to adults. It used to be 250grams per person, then last November they slashed it to 50 grams. It burns me I tell you.
Most of what is suggested here is confirming my thinking. I was thinking some St Bruno and some RDF. But Andy has got me thinking about one of the plugs as well. Revor sounds pretty good to me.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
So I managed to wangle bringing a bit more back than I thought and this ended up being my score. Haven't started on any of this yet but looking forward to trying it out especially the RDF and the St Bruno.

Thanks to those who advised.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
To get Condor plug in the UK you will have to order it from The republic of Ireland to a UK address first. It cannot be sold in in the UK by tobacconists due to the packagaing.
So, go for Condor long cut. Miles better than standard ready rubbed. (Don't even bother with Condor mild/gold or whatever it's called)
Get yourself some Bruno flake too. Not a fan of Bruno personally, but it'll be good to trade if you also don't like it.
Stock up on tins of English snuff too! it's cheap and considered the ebst in the world by many. Again, good to use yourself for a bit of fun or for trading.

May 31, 2012
Great choices!

:clap:
Thanks for sharing the pic.
RDF is really special stuff methinks.
St. Bruno Flake is undeniably yummy stuff.
Mick McQuaid is one of the classic Irish plugs.
I've only smoked a small sample of Revor and it was interesting as well.
Enjoy thee well.
Jolly Smoggo!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.