PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Hey folks, maybe you can help me out.
I smoke ribbons. When a tin is nearly finished, instead of ribbons you get what I call "dust" (very fine, very small bits of tobacco).
Said dust is very hard to pack and smoke, but I can't get myself to dump it.
Any tips?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
^^^^ +1
When a tin starts to run low, I dump it out onto a paper plate and load a little more than 3/4 of the bowl with the mixture and then use some of the dust as kindling for the top. This way I don't have one bowl that has a lot of dust on top. I repeat this until it is all gone.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
^^^^^^^^ All of the above!
I jar my tins when I open them. When I get to the bottom, where there's a lot of crumbs and dust in the mix, I dump the remainder into a "mix" jar. This won't necessarily be everyone's cup of tea, but I've had some interesting, sometimes killer bowls following this practice. With the smaller pieces and chunks, I find the resulting smoke refreshingly dense. :puffy:

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I usually do a modified (and extremely simplified) Frank.

But I'll try a stuff-and-kindle, it's good advice.
Thanks folks.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When a tin is low, or when starting with bulk in bag, I shake it in a bag to bring the bigger pieces to the top, load half way, then finish with the small stuff on top. Cuts down on the dust a bit to start with.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I toss all the bottom bits, and what falls onto my plate when packing my pipe, into a jar. (One for va & Vapers, one for English)

When the jar is full, I press it into a plug/cake. Usually turns out quite nicely.

Jun 27, 2016
I usually sift it out using a wire mesh flour sifter before I jar up a tin. I used to keep it all in a "fines" jar, but eventually just got rid of it, and stopped keeping it after that. I figured someone out there was making bricks out of the stuff.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sure, but it'd be wise to collect somewhat similar tobaccos. After all, it's the marketing people who say their random mixtures are terrific.....

Status
Not open for further replies.