Tobacco Drying Mistake Gave Me The Best Smoke In Ages.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I recently discovered that I best enjoy plug tobaccos when I prepare them the day before I intend to smoke them. Cut, cubed, roughly rubbed, aired and pipe loaded one day to be smoked the next.
Yesterday I cut and rubbed out some Full Virginia Plug, enough for three bowls, and aired it with the intention of loading the pipes just afore bed which is my preferred method. However I forgot all about it and this morning I found my dish full of bone dry tobacco (a steady 23 degrees in here).
Not best pleased I wondered if I ought cut & rub some fresh and mix it with the dry and hope for the best. In the end I did no such thing and just loaded my three pipes with the bone dry mix. Am now smoking the second bowl and I swear I have never smoked such lovely FVP ever!
The odd thing is that though I thought the tobacco to be bone dry it clearly wasn't as I had a little soggy dottle at the end of each smoke but it certainly felt 'crispy' to the fingers.
So, this is how I will be doing it in the future :puffy:
Anyone else try this 'method'?
Regards,
Jay.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Next time do the charing light and leave it over night. ;)
Delayed Gratification Technique

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
There have been several occasions when I've packed my pipe ready to smoke, only to be called away at the last minute. Upon returning to it, sometimes the next day, it almost always a great smoke. I wondered if it was something to do with the tobacco being crispy dry at the top but still semi-moist towards the bottom.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
The first time I tried Gawith FVF, I bought it bulk at a Tobacconist.

2ounces worth..long flakes from a box.
I didn't like the way it smoked straight away so I let a whole flake dry out over night. To my chagrin, it was indeed crispy when I woke up. Took it in stride and packed a bowl.. amazing! The flavors rushed out of the flake. Since then I always dry it out over night.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've accidentally overly dried out some McClellands bulk and it was far better than when it was fresh.

Trigger warning!!!
Not every blend... but most all straight Virginias taste better to me when they are almost crispy dry. Without the steam vapors, I can taste the subtle nuances of the straight Virginia more clearly. I know this will set off the "straight out of the can" folks, but I am not suggesting anyone do anything. I am just saying what works best for me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Cosmic, I have had a much better smoking experience with straight Virginia baccy by drying it the same way. Crispy is your friend.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's all we can do: what works for each of us, nodding vigorously!
And, yes, Jay, when I smoke flake or plug (or cake!!) I tend to dry it much longer than ribbon or shag, after cutting or rubbing. The larger the pieces of tobacco, the more likely there's moisture in the center of each cube or particle. So it will feel dry and crispy on the outside, but will contain water that you can't sense by feel.
For somewhat the same reason, I don't load and let sit overnight, as while it dries the top 1/2 inch or so, the bottom remains moist. If anything, the bottom (first load) half is better if drier than the last half (top) It will pick up moisture as you smoke. At least that's my experience with loading dry stuff first and slightly moister second.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I will at times, pre-load a pipe and let it sit for a day or even a couple few days,and more often than not, it is a fine smoke.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The trigger is not the problem. The live round in the chamber is the problem, if you catch my drift.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I regularly rub out three or four bowls of tobacco and smoke one after an hour or two and the rest over the next day or two. What feels dried out over the next day or two has plenty of moisture and lights more quickly and burns more evenly, and requires fewer relights. Tobacco can get pretty dry and still provide a fine smoke. The moisture in the finished bowl may be residual or it may be condensation from burning, probably the latter.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Bigpond: I've learned how to smoke a pipe your way, and I've learned how to smoke a pipe my way. I prefer my way.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"For somewhat the same reason, I don't load and let sit overnight, as while it dries the top 1/2 inch or so, the bottom remains moist."
That makes perfect sense John and my 'mistake' obviously saw that I had a certain homogeneity in my moisture content resulting in a far more enjoyable smoke.
BTW, how are you getting along with your Jack Knife Cake Plug? Does it tickle your fancy?
Regards,
Jay.

Bigpond... Hmmm, if you are referring to me being a moderator meaning that you cannot disagree with me, then you are wrong. Anyone is perfectly safe saying that they disagree and believe that they find smoking tobacco sopping wet is perfectly ok. However, if you want to say that we are "idiots for wanting to dry our tobacco... then that is different and breaks forum rules.

I would refer anyone to my post years ago on breath smoking... it is how I have found my pipes best like to be smoked and how I find the most pleasure in smoking. Please, please feel free to make you own posts about how YOU find the most pleasure. But, know that absolutely no one is "wrong"... just different. And, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Phhht, in fact it makes me actually laugh to think that someone could be "wrong" about any aspect of pipe smoking, ha ha.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've always smoked Virginias bone dry. Can pick up the differerence between different Virginias that way. Plan on drying out some 2016 Christmas Cheer on December 24th to enjoy in my yet to be smoked Weaver egg on Christmas Day.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Unfortunately, Jay, as to JKP and others of that ilk, I don't do well with them. Don't know if it's red Virginias, or something else, but I pretty much stick to my English and Balkan blends. I feel left out!

Status
Not open for further replies.