PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For what else is the purpose of state-sponsored Tobacco Control but to bend citizens to the national will, or the global will, or the will of the World Health Organisation? Tobacco Control sets out to restrict and control and reform the people. They are to be made to stop smoking. The goal of Public Health is to reform the people, create a healthy new people. The political elites, who regard themselves as expressing the national will, have determined that the people need to stop smoking, stop drinking, eat less, exercise more, and so on. They have a blueprint for a New Man, and they are using the resources of the state to bully and bludgeon everyone to fit the blueprint.
Tobacco Control has complete contempt for ordinary people. Tobacco Control has no interest whatsoever in what ordinary people might think. Tobacco Control sees people as a herd of cattle to be goaded and scared and stampeded in the direction they desire. Tobacco Control always knows better.
And what better evidence of it is there than the nasty little messages they now scrawl on every single tobacco pack? They are messages from Tobacco Control to every single smoker who lights up a cigarette. And they’re all one-way messages. There’s no answering back.
And if governments everywhere consent to support and fund Tobacco Control, it can only be because governments everywhere also believe that the people exist to serve the government or the nation, and that the people need to be re-educated to better serve. For they would make much better servants if they lost some weight, did some exercise, and stopped smoking and drinking.
https://cfrankdavis.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/will-trump-revoke-hillary-clintons-white-house-smoking-ban/
I disagree with most of this essay, but I liked his analysis of how banning smoking is a form of control. They make you bow and obey, and then you serve. This applies to humans in general, not just governments, but it is a good argument against having them beat us down by removing things that make life joyful.
I live with the constant threat of possession, and a constant need to escape from possession, from control. -- William S. Burroughs

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I disagree with most of this essay, but I liked his analysis of how banning smoking is a form of control.
I agree with your assessment. I disagree with the essay's premise that the motivation for control is about public health.
If the "controllers" really wanted the general public to be healthy, they would not be supporting, promoting and protecting so many things that are serious threats to public health. Their obsession with controlling tobacco use can only be for reasons other than health concerns, imo.
As for anyone who believes the "war on tobacco" really is about public health, attempting to convince them otherwise would be futile. I would only tell them they are straining out gnats and swallowing camels.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I think on some level I would like the children which come after me to be non-smokers. However, it is completely their choice and I certainly want the tobacco consumed to be pure and unadulterated, that is, free from unnecessary chemicals. I am not so jaded as to think ALL government bureaucrats are on power trips. There are people who genuinely want America to be healthier, myself included. The people pushing their own ideology down our collective throats regardless of our views are NOT those people. I'm more worried about the Corporate control over our freedoms and their steady removal of those freedoms for their own profit. Eisenhower spoke at length on this, so I won't repeat it here. So, yeah... Keep Your Hands Off My Tobacco !!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I am not so jaded as to think ALL government bureaucrats are on power trips. There are people who genuinely want America to be healthier, myself included.
I agree that many, if not most, of the "foot soldiers" in the war on tobacco (in or out of govt) are true believers that it is all about public health. These are the gnat strainers I was referring to.
Odds are many of them have children with serious illnesses such as cancer or autism, but rather than figuring out what is behind that they are focused on tobacco...just following the agenda that has been set for them.
I'm more worried about the Corporate control over our freedoms and their steady removal of those freedoms for their own profit. Eisenhower spoke at length on this, so I won't repeat it here.
IMO, the big banks, big corporations and big government are not on opposing sides. It's all run by the same group of people at the top.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@brian64:
I disagree with the essay's premise that the motivation for control is about public health.
It requires some careful reading, but that is not what it says.
What it says is that public health is the pretext, but the motivation is control.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@DM: Ah I see. I confess I only read the portion you posted in the OP, and that seems to be saying that there is a public health motivation. If it's actually saying that is merely a pretext, then I would agree with that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You might enjoy William S. Burroughs' writings. Control always uses a pretext, but the goal is always control itself. It seems paradoxical because you have a method serving itself, but it is similar to overeating or drug addiction.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's built into the species, I guess. Everyone is a rebel against intrusions into their free will, and everyone has a strong tendency to tyranny, especially when it is covered over with the notion of improving someone else. I know just how much weight someone else should lose in order to have a better appearance, and so on. Just don't tell me about my weight. Then of course, when organizations get into it, it really becomes autocratic. It begins in childhood when people both crave and despise control. It's a balancing act. Like in traffic, I want people to be oppressed by some sense of order, but I don't want it to fall too heavily on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.