PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeofpiping

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
So, I have been experimenting with tons of tobacco. I’m sure this has beeen discussed but I couldn’t find exactly what I was lookining for. So you die hard forum watchers can freak out but I would love to have the answer to this question....... I’m looking for a sweet, high nic strength, full body tobacco, that won’t upset the wife for smoking indoors. Anyone have any recommendations to help me solve this enigma? I would greatly apprecuate any recommendations!
Thanks in advance!
PopeofPiping

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
High nicotine blends are my favorite, but I know of none that are sweet, and I live alone, so no one here to appraise the room note. Nows if you just want recommendations for my fav full-bodied blends, I can help you with that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I enjoy Peterson University Flake. It has some strength and it has a nice sweet flavor. I have no idea what the room note is. If you want sweet without strength that people will love the room note, go with Cult Blood Red Moon. I enjoy this blend a great deal and never thought I would be recommending a cherry blend to anyone.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not 100% sure how I feel about recommending this one, especially if you're a new pipe smoker. But if you're looking for sweet and high nicotine, I would suggest Gawith & Hogarth Sweet Rum Twist. Understand it's a tobacco in rope form and requires some preperation. The room note may or may not be liked.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You might explore crumble cakes. They frequently use something sweet, like honey, for a binder. Watch City Cigars' Old Dominion is a possibility -- though I don't know what the room note is like. Hearth & Home's Classic Burley Kake has a cocoa/chocolate taste, it's fairly strong, and should smell pretty good in the room. H&H's Marble Kake would fill the bill if you favor Virginia over Burley, but it's not as strong.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
If you wouldn't mind a light aromatic, I would recommend Ratrays Bagpiper Dream as a great indoor smoke. Underneath the sweet casing is a great full flavored Virginia. The casing goes away mid bowl and your left with a nice room note. Its my indoor smoke of the week.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
[Timed-out on editing the previous post, and I just noticed thesmokingdragon already mentioned Night Train .]
C&D's Night Train is a Va., Burley, and Perique crumble cake that is naturally sweet and strong, but again, I can't comment on the room note since I can only smell what others are smoking.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Not sweet, but earthy; how about some of that? Bold Kentucky. Quite strong in nicotine. But those mellow earthy fragrances ... smells like a Númenórean evening.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
You might want to try GHC Sweet Maple Twist, or any of their twists actually. Pretty sweet flavours and strong enough to knock out a small horse.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Along with Night Train, I suggest giving C&D blends a close look.
Many are high octane nic blends with pleasant room notes.

Hmmm, when I think stregnth, sweet, and decent room note, Petersons Perfect Plug, War Horse Bar (red or green), and Condor comes to mind, but Condor will require knowing a blockade runner from Britain to get it to you. If you are in the US, you could try Daughters Ryan's Picayune, which is sweet in a VaPer sort of way, and the room note is not bad, but don't smoke it and drive, as it will lay you out.

The twist suggestions are not bad. University Flake is another moderate stregnth good one, but I have no idea how your wife will feel about the room note. It's hit or miss.
If by wife friendly, you mean aromatic, you might try Royal Yacht. But, you could try taking an aromatic that you like and beefing it up with some cigar leaf or Five Brothers. Or, jump into the GH&co Lakelands. My wife loves the smell of Dark Flake unscented, but you may even like the scented version. It's not the dead grandma smell, but more of a cosmopolitan, complex aroma. I like it from time to time.
However, your idea of strong, and mine may be different. Strong to me can turn some people's guts inside out. :puffy:

whitebar

Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
Here are some others you might consider.

Erinmore Flake - flowery and fruity note with a nice nic hit

Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake - sweet flavor with berries and vanilla plus a medium nic hit

Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake - Tonquin flavoring and scent with a massive nic hit

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Brown Flake Liquorice - mild liquorice flavoring adds sweetness and aroma with a decent nic hit

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I have had success with blending some sweet 'My Own Blend Madagascar' with some stronger tobacco like Peterson University Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.