PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
With a major change to an industry-wide due diligence program, the Sustainable Tobacco Program (STP), now at least 180 tobacco companies are pledging to prohibit all children under 18 from handling green tobacco on farms in their supply chains.
...We have consistently found that many children who handle tobacco are at serious risk of nicotine poisoning, also known as Green Tobacco Sickness, an illness caused by absorption of nicotine through the skin, which can cause vomiting, nausea, dizziness, headaches, loss of appetite, and insomnia. The long-term effects of absorbing nicotine through the skin are unknown; the dangers of nicotine exposure through smoking are well-known and serious.
https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/11/15/tobacco-companies-commit-protect-child-workers-worldwide
With bonus shots of delicious tobacco plants.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
It was an interesting video to watch although it is 3 years old. And of course lots of polar ideas on the comments section as always. Thanks for sharing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Started working when I was thirteen in tobacco. Green Tobacco Sickness makes the Flu look like Disneyland.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Green Tobacco Sickness makes the Flu look like Disneyland.
Some people mentioned that they have worked in the fields without getting any sickness. How true is that Duane? How many times did you have that Green Tobacco Sicnkess?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's an often recited health science precept that children are not small adults. Their defenses are not developed and some exposures have permanent effects. That doesn't mean adult workers don't need protection as well, but kids are vulnerable and don't always demand attention for their ailments and needs.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Damn it, less cheap labor = more expensive tobacco, keep the kids working They sell cheap white full chemical resistant body suits, I've used them when applicating heav duty chemicals in a former life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some people mentioned that they have worked in the fields without getting any sickness. How true is that Duane? How many times did you have that Green Tobacco Sicnkess?
I moved out on my own at 13, and it's true that some I worked with never had green tobacco sickness. It only took one time having it and I started wearing gloves and long sleeve shirts while in the fields.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife (I'm remarried after a decade) worked on her grandparents' tobacco farm in Eastern N.C., sticking tobacco, tying leaf to sticks to hang in the tobacco barn for curing. I never heard her speak of being ill from that work, but she had a heavy cigarette habit that she finally quit after several tries. Could have started with childhood exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.