Status
Not open for further replies.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Hello everyone,
Sorry if this question has been asked.
I am getting tobacco in pouches, tins, and bulk. Do you suggest opening the tins and pouches and putting them in Mason Jars or do you store them in the the original pouches and tins? The Mason Jars seem to keep everything organized and you can check the condition of the tobacco.
Thanks!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

. . .
To me it's far more than amazing that there is ever any discussion on this topic.
Jeez, can I use Esoterica bags? No, you idiot! They may work and they may not. If the don't then the tobacco, that you spent good money on, just got flushed down the sh*tter.

What about pouches? No you idiot! You can only really trust jars.

What about tins? No, you dope, you transfer the contents of the tin to a jelly jar immediately.
jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars
Others will disagree, but I can't help it if I'm right.

Here's a thought. Why not be certain? Why take a chance?
jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

jars

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It comes down to how long you want to store your tobacco before you consume it.
Definitely jar bulk, and pouches in jars works well. Vacuum sealed square and rectangular tins are mostly OK for 5 years and then become less reliable as time goes on. The seal on the square and rectangular tins is not 100%, so they're slowly leaking, which means the seal will eventually fail and the contents dry out. For longer term storage of these tins, jar, or bag with heavy gauge heat sealed metalized Mylar bags. Round tins are better at holding a seal, but still not you best choice if you're going for 10 - 20 years on the shelf. Jar or bag these as well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I keep all my tins intact as I have yet to see a tin fail no matter what shape it is. I recently opened a small old rectangle tin of 2002 Rotary Luxury Navy Cut that was perfect. The flakes were pliable and they had just the right amount of moisture. Here is a list of all the aged tins I have open and I am smoking from.

2004 Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

2006 Astleys no 109

2006 Mac Baren Navy Flake

2008 Escudo

2011 Dunhill Dleuxe Navy Rolls

2011 Dunhill Flake

2012 Samuel Gawith St James Flak

2012 Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake

2012 Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

2012 Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

2012 Fribourg & Treyer Vintage Flake

2012 GL Pease Navigator

2012 Rotary Navy Cut

2012 Hamborger Veermaster

2012 Aslteys no 44

2012 Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

2012 John Aylesbury Luxury Flake
Not once has any of these tins had a bad seal or tobacco that wasn't in perfect shape. I am opening tins that are at least 6 years old on a regular basis. I hear people talk about tins failing but I wonder at how they are being stored. My tins stay at a constant 73-74 degrees and low humidity. The 2004 FVF was sopping wet just like a fresh tin. I also never handle my tins unless I am picking one to smoke.
All of my bulks I put in jars as soon as I received them. The only pouches I have are Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs and I put them in jars as soon as I get them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Harris,
You're lucky. Also, most of your tins aren't that old. Greg Peace recently wrote to Mike on his Briarblues youtube channel that he no longer recommends long term storage of tobacco in the rectangular and square tins as he's discovered some very disappointing failures amongst his cellared stock.
I've had a number of failed square and rectangular tins that were 10 years old and older. And even where the seal was still intact, the contents were drier than new examples.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, what the hell would Greg know about tobacco, the guys a piker. The reason you had failures is because you live in Cali. The pipe gods hate your state for starting all those anti smoking laws.
I hear you but I am way to lazy to seal 1500 plus tins. I will roll the dice and knock on wood, continue my winning streak.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The issue of jars vs. various other containers makes me a tad frisky. It makes me crazy that a reliable, time-tested, conclusively proven medium is ever doubted and other lesser mediums considered.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@spartacus, welcome to the board. I’ll bet you thought your first post question was simple? Gotta love the passion of the pipers.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Thanks NPOD. I love reading the posts. I have jarred everything that was bulk or pouched. I left the tins for now. Looks like I have at least 5 years before I need to jar them.
I have another question now. Why buy tins when the bulk is cheaper? Is it different from the tins?

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Depends on what format it comes in. I’m fairly new but at the point where I only buy one small tin to try a new blend, then if I like it, I buy it in a bigger format, bulk if available.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
spartacus, most of my favorite blends only come in tins. I prefer tins as I like the way tobacco ages in them. I do have some bulks and have jars all over the place. They take up way more space. I would never take a 5 year old tin and then jar it for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.