PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcobber

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
Sherbrooke Quebec Canada
I all!
I have a smoking issue. When I smoke, on’y the inert part burn to ashes, all around the tobacco become black but do not burn to ashes so I have to scrape it off and dump it.
Someone know why it do that?
Thank a lot!
Cheers!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Sounds like a lot of my bowls. Sometimes, the tobacco near the walls of the bowl doesn't actually light like the middle does. Try making sure you spread your method of flame around enough to get those edges. It's not the end of the world if they don't light though. Just do what you said, and you can even dump the ash from the middle, scrap the sides and tamp back flat, relight and you're good to go. This usually happens to me mostly when I'm smoking a flake.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've noticed the same phenomenon. Sometimes, the tobacco adjacent to the chamber walls doesn't even get charred. 8O
Good to know what to do now.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
As others have said tamp as you smoke and also make sure the whole top is lit at the beginning, do circular motions with your flame so all the top of the bowl is burning.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I always use my tamper to move the tobacco from the walls of the bowl back into the mix while I'm smoking. Maybe two or three times during the bowl. Small light puffs while doing this and I rarely need to relight.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm guessing you've never had a campfire. Leave it unattended and the wood outside never ignites, that's why you stoke a fire, move the logs inward. Same thing with a pipe. Tamping, moving the cold tobacco to the "cherry" is simply stoking the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.