PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
What type of tobacco is good for strong natural tobacco taste without a lot of added flavored?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you mean by added flavor, you mean fruity sauces etc, there are a lot of choices. I would recommed a search of www.tobaccoreviews.com. search by brand. McClelland Virginia blends such as #22,24,25,27, Blackwoods Flake, St. James Flake. Latakia blends, I suggest GLPease blends, Picadily, Samarra, Abingdon. McClelland Bombay Court, British Woods, Scottish Woods. These are just a few from two US blending houses. The choices are just about too many to comprehend.
Mike S.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The choices are just about too many to comprehend ...
Amen to that!
Do you have access to any OTC's like Carter Hall or Prince Albert?

They offer a very "real" no-nonsense tobacco experience and are Burley based.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Gl Pease Union Square and MacBaren HH Acadian Perique are two good examples of pure tobacco flavor. But there are a lot more on the market for sure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dozens, scores, hundreds. Lane's burley without bite is tasty, affordable, and available in bulk.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do usually use Peter Stokkebye Black Carvendash,Dansk Black or Lane 1Q for blend.

They are not give that much strong flavor. Instead they make original rich taste.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
For strong natural flavor I would recommend the following. These are different tobaccos, but all strong and relatively unflavored.
Solani Aged Burley Flake

Escudo Navy Deluxe

GL Pease Fillmore

Peterson's Irish Flake

Fribourg and Treyer Special Brown Flake

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
There are so many. Your choices range from straight Virginias, to VaPers, to Burleys, to Orientals, and Latakia forward blends. Plugs, ropes, coins, cubes, shreds ... A range of cuts and presentations as well. Good luck in your quest.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
How about starting out simple? A straight Virginia -- and a blend of only Virginia varietals, like Mac Baren Virginia #1.
Need more complexity? Try a Burley/Va/Perique blend like 4noggins' Weybridge. It achieves great taste by stoving -- not by adding flavors.
Willing to explore something exotic? McClelland Classic Samsun, a tasty Oriental blend should perk up your taste buds.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My go-to no-frills straight tobacco flavor/taste/aroma blend is Dunhill Royal Yacht. At first I disliked it for just those reasons, but I'm increasingly finding both the Latakia-English and Cavendish Aros are at polar opposites but both very strongly flavored, whereas RY is just a satisfying smoke when I don't want to be assaulted by one strong flavor or another. Watch it though, it's got a ton of nicotine.

tank

Lurker
Dec 1, 2010
This is the same problem I have. I can never find something because of all the different blends out there. I had recently bought Mac Baren HH Highland blend in a tin and found that I really like it. It really hurt my heart when I found out that I cannot buy it in bulk and heard a rumor that they are discontinuing it. I enjoyed the smokey flavor. I was also surprised that it is considered an aromatic being that it has Latakia, Virginia's, and Barley's. I guess its because of the fired cured Cavendish as well as the Scotch flavoring.
For some reason my brain housing group can't get the aromatic vs non-aromatic types figured out. I have a small collection of pipes (5) and I know that I am "supposed" to smoke aro and non-aro's out of different pipes to keep from ghosting.
I have always went with aromatics. I started of with Middle Earth (king arthur) blend and Elvin Journey that used to be sold on thepiperoom.com. Well when they shut down the website, I've been at a loss on finding that "perfect" blend. So many tobacco's and not enough pipes. Stay with aromatics or shift to Non-aromatics? Or do both? Decisions decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.