Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview tonight is with Glynn Quelch. Glynn is a retail tobacconist, and tobacco blender in Nottingham England. He creates some quite interesting and unique tobaccos that are unlike any others. He also mostly keeps to the old British Tobacco Purity Laws. In "Pipe Parts", Brian will talk about different ways to pack flake tobaccos.
glynn-quelch.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've been very impressed by Glynn's blends, and we talk on Facebook. It'll be great to actually hear him talk. This episode will bring more attention to an up and coming blender who deserves wider recognition.

glynnquelch

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Nottingham , UK
Thanks again for taking the time to interview me and for all of you for your support and comments/reviews
Makes all the arguments with the other half worth it, working too much HA!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I rarely contribute these days. I think my only posts in the past six months were to vote for “lordlowercase’’s ennoblement in the piping hall of fame and to introduce members to HU-Tobaccos (“Another New Kid on the Block……..”) wonderful range of blends.
A while back I sent Jiminks samples of the eight GQ blends I had (no affiiation) and Glynn himself sent him a further two. Jim has now formally reviewed these on TR’s. As you know Jim was sufficiently impressed to set up last night’s radio interview.
Glynn does ship to the US and I would encourage anyone to try his blends. My particular favourites are “Askwith Kake”, “Breakfast Blend”, “Classic Balkan (Izmir)” and “Nottingham Lace – Noir”.
I have seen “looking for something different” posts recently. I can assure anyone who fits this bill that they will have tasted nothing quite like “Breakfast Blend” or “Nottingham Lace – Noir”.

glynnquelch

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Nottingham , UK
The new Custom Blend No2 is a hybrid on the Breakfast Blend but made with more of the dark air cured. Much stronger too, so more of post dinner version. We call it Halfzware as it loosely based on the good old Dutch rolling tobaccos

jhhicks

Lurker
Jul 3, 2013
Indiana
I truly enjoyed the interview with Glynn. It's always interesting to listening to the tobacco blender's side of the hobby. I was surprised by the 5% rule for perique. When I throw together blends at the house, I'm always in the 22-30% range. I've put together a few blends that had around 50% for the fun of it, but perique is about all you taste at that level. He has a very impressive website and I hope to try out some of his blends soon. Glynn - when did you start using the "age in the sock" method?! :)
The Boris Karloff bit was great! I think I'll gather the family tonight to listen to it...lights off with candles lit. What a great voice!
Regarding the asthmatic comment from last week - the asthma story is a long one for me, but to keep it short the only thing that has triggered an attack in the last 8-10 years has been cold weather or vigorous exercise. Smoking my pipes or being around smokers doesn't cause an attack for me. Modern asthma medicine is incredible compared to the stuff I was given as a kid. I don't suffer from it anymore as long as I take the Advair (I can't wait for a generic $$$$).

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Wow, I thought Glenn didn't ship to the US? I saw some of his youtube videos a few months ago, and wanted to try some stuff. Looks like I'll be placing an order. SUHHHWEEET!

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Great interview with Glynn and show overall. I am also to see GQ himself here on the forums now; I have always wondered why he wasn't on here. In all honestly I credit these forums, the radio show, and Glynn's youtube channel for my passion for this hobby. I just started pipe smoking in April 2013 and without these resources of information I would never have made it past the plateau of wet aromatics.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Great interview with Glynn and show overall. I am also to see GQ himself here on the forums now; I have always wondered why he wasn't on here. In all honestly I credit these forums, the radio show, and Glynn's youtube channel for my passion for this hobby. I just started pipe smoking in April 2013 and without these resources of information I would never have made it past the plateau of wet aromatics.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Flakyjakey: Thanks for turning me on to Glynn's blends. I'd have never been inspired to talk to Brian about his interviewing Glynn without what you did for me. I thought the interview was very good and I think we'll see more people smoking his tobaccos now.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Derfargin: He does ship to the US. You need to privately contact him for the rules at his site or on Facebook.

glynnquelch

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Nottingham , UK
I can ship but can not accept Credit/Debit card or PayPal for payment. If anyone ever wants to order contact me through the site and i will send you wire transfer details

glynnquelch

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Nottingham , UK
I lurk on the Forums, dont really have the time to contribute much anymore. Work takes up 75% of my time and the in the other 25% i try and spend it all with the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.