PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I just popped a tin of GL Pease Laurel Heights and was questioning the consistency of it compared to my last tin. It seems drier than before, and I took note of this and started comparing blenders consistency rank. For example, I know I can open a tin of OGS and know every time that it will be the same moisture, taste, look, and feel. Same goes with a few of the Dunhill tins (965, EMP, etc.).

My question to you:

Do you have any tobaccos that you have found rather inconsistent? In what sense (moisture, taste, nose)...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
shutterbug:
Don't forget, too, that tobacco is a crop -- just like the grapes used to make wine. And it's naturally going to be affected by changes from year to year. In any given year, there may be a less-than-typical harvest. Or weather could affect the end flavor of a given leaf. With that in mind, I'm amazed that many blenders are able to be as consistent with their recipes as they are!
Something to consider is the role played by older leaf which can be added to every year's blend to help maintain a measure of consistency from year to year. MacBaren has actually gone on record to note that some of their blends are still incorporating leaf from the 1970s! Companies like Orlik -- the producer of OGS as well as the current Dunhill lineup -- have the longevity and the cash to have stockpiled many years' worth of leaf. GLPease, which has only been in business since the late 1990s, simply isn't large enough or as long-lived as a company to have such stockpiles of leaf to draw on. (Even Cornell & Diehl, which produces the Pease blends, has only been around in its current, stable form since 1990.)
Bob

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Most blenders use small amounts of a humectant (usually propylene glycol) to maintain a consistent moisture level. Cornell & Diehl uses only distilled water, which may be why you notice a lack of consistency from one tin to the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.