PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Can anyone recommend a blend with large amounts of Syrian Latakia in it?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I've enjoyed both HH Vintage Syrian (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2680/mac-baren-hh-vintage-syrian) and McClelland's 3 Oaks Syrian (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3486/mcclelland-three-oaks-syrian). I can't swear by which blend has more Syrian Latakia in it, but I will tell you that to my palate I got a cleaner Latakia note from 3 Oaks than I did from HH Vintage Syrian. I found the Vintage Syrian a more complex smoke, with a lot more going on in it.
-- Pat

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
3 Oaks Syrian

Syrian Full Balkan Tobacco

Not sure how Syrian it is but I prefer Blue Mountain.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think quantity-wise, HH Vintage Syrian is probably the leader here. But I'd urge you to try other blends that include Syrian latakia as well. I didn't find much actual Syrian character in the Vintage Syrian. But I've been spoiled by being able to enjoy the discontinued Syrian blends from GL Pease; I haven't smoked any other blends that could match the quality -- or qualities -- of that remarkable leaf.
I've also enjoyed the Syrian qualities in Brebbia's Preludio Mixture No. 60. There is a small quantity in Gordon Pym, but I think it's nearly overwhelmed by the Cypriot latakia in that blend. (It's still one of my favorite full English blends, though.)
Bob

Aug 14, 2012
All blends mentioned above are good. A warning though, since Syrian is no longer produced it will be used in smaller amounts in the future.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I just smoked a bowl of Bohemian Scandal. That was probably the clearest instance of Syrian latakia that I've had. That said, I think that it smells much richer than it tastes these days. If the tin note still matched how it tastes in the pipe, it'd be among my favorite latakia blends ever. But I think after 10 years it's falling off.
I had a tin of HH Vintage Syrian and it didn't do anything for me.
The best tin of a blend including Syrian latakia I ever had was a tin of Raven's Wing at about 5 years. It was incredible, but not especially pronounced in terms of 'this is Syrian latakia.' It was just an amazing blend that happened to include some Syrian. I never did get to try Renaissance, and Mephisto never interested me since I don't like booze in my pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The MacBaren probably has the most - I think it's at 50%. It's a lovely blend, one that I love to start my day with.

Foggy is right about there being no more - I think I have read that production ended in '98. MacB has always used Syrian latakia exclusively, so I'm sure they have a ton. The only Syrian in the US is McClelland's - the rest was destroyed in a warehouse fire in 2006 or so. Blue Mountain uses Cyprian, not Syrian, however.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
escioe:
I agree with you 100% about the Pease Syrians. I had Bohemian Scandal when it was fresh, "middle aged," and then older. The fresh tin was the most amazing tobacco blend I've ever had. Middle age -- with about 5 years of age -- was very good. But, yes, at around 10 years, it was still good but not what it once was. Raven's Wing was wonderful as well. But I also thoroughly enjoyed Renaissance, which mixed Cypriot and Syrian latakia.
The Pease Syrian was particularly fragrant, floral, and delicate. It doesn't surprise me that it doesn't seem to have had the "legs" that a sturdier, bolder Cypriot latakia would have.
It's heartbreaking that the current Syrian on the market doesn't seem to come close, just a shadow of what that late-1990s Syrian was.
Bob

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I would love to try one of those Pease blends that uses Syrian Latakia, but seeing as they are no longer in production, and when available sell for over $100, I don't think I'll ever get the chance.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Neil:
Take comfort from the fact that after 10 years (or more), they have lost some of the character that made them so remarkable when they were released. So while folks may still be selling those tins on eBay for outrageous amounts, IMO they are no longer worth those outrageous amounts. But if you can pick up a tin of Bohemian Scandal, Raven's Wing, or Renaissance for around $50, I'd still encourage you to do it. They are once-in-a-lifetime smokes now, and they're definitely worth the $2-$3/bowl that a $40-$60 tin would cost you.
Bob

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
You might also want to try McClelland's Wilderness. It contains nearly a third Syrian latakia, which should be enough to overwhelm everything else in the blend, yet Fred Hannah managed to combine it with such a unique array or orientals and virginias that Wilderness is a prime example of the synergy that Syrian once brought to many classic blends. It's very complex and unique, and I don't believe there is a blend on the market today with a comparable array of rare oriental leaf.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
How does Wilderness compare to the old Pease Syrian blends, for those who've had them?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Thoughts on Ashton's Artisan's Blend? It's my favorite and the tin note is just seductive as is the smoking experience. It contains Syrian Lat along with Virginia, Turkish and some Perique. It's not a Lat Bomb and I don't know what percentage of Syrian is in the blend but it comes through very well. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.