PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I took a look at the 2006 Archive for tobaccoreviews.com and came up with some interesting items.
While there are no doubt many great tobacco blends which came out after 2007 there were also a lot of good ones before then. C&D had 5 of the Frogmorton Blends out in 2006 for example.
Here are some other brands and the number of blends on the market in 2006 according to tobaccoreviews.com. It should be noted that it's not an all inclusive list and it doesn't account for blends which were taken off the market.
Esoterica - 19 Blends available

Gawaith & Hoggarth - 52 blends available

G.L. Pease - 27 Blends available

Lane Ltd. - 73 blends available

McClelland - 120 blends available

Orlik - 40 blends available

Peter Stokkebye - 55 blends available (including 1Q and Nougat)

pipesand cigars.com - 39 blends available

Peterson - 16 blends available

Rattry - 18 blends available

Sutliff - 6 blends available (but it does include Edward G. Robinson Blend)

W.O. Larsen - 24 blends available.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I didn't include tobacco such as OTCs like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Borkum Riff, Capt. Black, etc.

If you don't know about them then you may not be old enough to smoke a pipe anyway.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to get this list data. I have done some looking of my own. We still have time to stock up, but if nothing happens with the deeming date advancing to May 2016, we still have a good amount of blends to pick from. Great news no, but there will be some great tobacco still available to our community.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good rundown on some blends that may remain on the market. I think Frog blends are from McClelland, not C&D, unless I'm confusing them? I feel that the whole Iwan Ries Three Star line should remain, since most of their blends go back generations. Some of them probably were around in 1906. Much of the Dunhill line and Lanes oldies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the worst happens, hardest hit will be Standard Tobacco of PA and Seattle Pipe club, as far as I can see. Time to stock up on those boys, but I remain foolishly optimistic that they'll weather the storms.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's also all the old,smaller British houses that don't get much play, but still sell some fine blends - Astleys, F&T, Fox, etc.The OP also omitted Sam Gawith and G&H, and probably some others.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Jud - I omitted them because there are too many to list. There were also a number of small tobacconist who had their own blends back then that I didn't list. My original post wasn't intended to be a all inclusive list of every single tobacco sold in 2006.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Fair enough,Pappymac! :puffy:
Although I intend to increase my supply of several faves which may not be available, I'm not in panic mode. There's a lot of older blends out there I haven't tried, yet, as well as ones I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.