PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
G'day all, just been browsing 4noggins.com who ship to Australia and have been browsing their own blends which I will be ordering 2-3 in my next order along with a couple of corn cob pipes to try out. As I was browsing the blends they offer, I noticed reviews left by others who have tried them. One in particular stood out as reviewers noted the slow, even burning of the tobacco that left a white ash. Does ash colour depend on the moisture of the tobacco? The two tobaccos I have tried thus far have been leaving a blackish to slightly grey ash. Or is this the way I am smoking the pipes. I pack the bowl so it is a bit springy and tamper it a few times as the tobacco expands to ensure the hot coals remain in contact with the underlying tobacco.
Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I think that the "white ash" (also "dry/clean white/gray ash"-variations) mentioned in many reviews is just a cliché ending that has no other value than perhaps conveying the observation the tobacco didn't leave a dottle and burned clean.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Thank you, also I found I wasn't evenly tamping the pipe and needed to tamp slightly harder than I was. I am now finding a whitish ash in the centre of the bowl. The tobacco burns better when I pack the pipe a bit firmer also.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Ash color is dependent on the minerals and nutrients in the tobacco leaf. That all goes out the window though once you start adding casings and toppings.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I'm very pleased with myself, 3 weeks into my pipe career and I can pack my two pipes to the point of minimal relighting. I have found that half a bowl a few times a day satisfies my need. Previously I was a cigarette smoker smoking about 20 a day, now I don't like cigarettes and love my pipes. I have a Falcon as well as one that says Damman, Melbourne on one side and the other says "The Viscount - London Made 1122" the stem has an underlined V on it and it is a beautiful pipe to smoke. I had problems with them at first until I realised they bother needed a reaming as the carbon buildup was so thick it shrunk the bowl about 25%.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I don't know but my best smokes always seem to have a white ash, my not so good ones more gray. I personally think it has something to do with the perfect pack,quality of tobacco,and how fast or slow you may be smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.