PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences relating to animals and tobacco smoke?
I have noticed over the years smoking outdoors that many animals seems to like the smell of tobacco smoke. I've always been an outdoors kinda guy, and when I smoke I have noticed some critters seem drawn to the smoke.
*Some cigars seem to attract wasps, even though wasps hate smoke. This is odd I think, but a very real phenomenon. Maybe it has to do with the smoke smelling sweet?
*Pipes and cigars seem to draw squirrels, rabbits, bobcats, other smaller animals out of hiding and animals that are usually skittish around people seem much bolder when the person is smoking. Maybe over the centuries some animals developed an instinctual knowledge that a smoking human is one relaxing, and not as threatening?
*My dog will usually run around the yard or lay under a tree, unless I'm smoking my pipe. Then he will come lay down very close to where I am sitting and wag his tail and be generally very happy seeming the whole time the bowl is lit. Could this be my dog's personal preference?
*Songbirds will often land/perch much closer while I'm smoking a pipe.
Honestly, I don't know what to think of these things. Has anyone else noticed anything like this or have any thoughts about what could be behind some of these experiences?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My mechanic keeps a cat at the shop that loves tobacco smoke. He is on my lap as soon as I sit down.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Agree with animals liking smoke, my border collie likes pipes and cigar smoke. Thankfully he is named after churchill ie winston.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Interesting..well as they say animals can pick up on your mood...so your probably right as far as being relaxed and non threatening. They are very perceptive..and they're probably wondering "is that's a Mauro Armellini or a Mastro De Paja?"

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My fiance's 15 year old pit always sneezes whenever the wind blows the smoke near her, so I try and position myself for it to not happen. But her other three small dogs a Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu, Jack Russel/Shih Tzu, and one we're not sure of his breed but he looks like a mini Springer Spaniel almost, don't really seem to mind it. They'll hop right up on the couch we have on the patio right now and plop right down next to me in hopes of having a belly rub that lasts as long as my pipe.

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Our cat (yes I'm a guy that owns a cat) likes the smell of my cloths when I get home from the lounge after smoking. No idea why but he always sniffs or rubs his face and whiskers on whatever I was wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.