PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Has anyone else had this problem? Lately my gingivitis has been aggravated and it appears to coincide with my increase in pipe smoking. I was wondering if this has also happened to anyone else or if anyone's heard of it happening to others as well as anything that was done to help with the problem. I love my tobacco, but I have to say I like smiling with all my teeth a little more. So for now I've decided to put the briar down for a week or two and hit hard on a three times a day regiment of flossing, brushing, and mouthwashing.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Try a water pick with 20+% of "Original" Listerine every evening before bed.

Knocked my issues with it completely out.

The water pick will get to the areas that are prone to problems, that flossing, brushing, and mouth-washing can't handle.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I like Lawrence's suggestions....You might also need to consider one of those "sonic toothbrushes" that really stimulate the gums.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
What has worked for me is to use an electric toothbrush, that has a 2 minute

cycle. I do a complete cycle on the uppers and another one on the lowers.

I use Rembrandt toothpaste & Listerine. I floss after every meal. It beats

having gum problems or paying the dentist for things I should not be neglecting.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In addition to the above great advice, I strongly recommend taking at least 3000mg of vit C a day (1000mg 3 times/day). Vit C is critically important for your gums and mouth.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Today I got on of those Arm & Hammer spinbrush's and I have to say it works wonders. I'm not healed instantly, but that baby feels like a deep tissue massage for my gums. They're already feeling ten times better. I also used my fiance's water pick for the first time tonight. She had one from when she had braces. That thing is fun as hell. Why didn't anyone tell me about those when I was little? lol. Had a blast using that one and forgetting to the spray off when I went to spit. Needed to re-clean the mirror afterwards lol. Hopefully things will go well and like I said in a week or two I'll be able to smoke again. One thing's for sure I won't ever let it get that bad again.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Original Listerine grab a mouthfull and swish it around your mouth the whole time you are in the shower everyday and things will get a lot better .

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I recently had an infection. Well a sore tooth that then turned into an abcess. it is on the side I tend to smoke my pipe on.I have only been smoking since Jan. But I smoke a lot. I haven't had a cavity since I was 18. Long story short I have really been wondering if pipe smoking was the cause? or atleast a pretty big factor. I really hope not cuz I like having teeth. So I too will take all your advice. Is it a common problem or just some of us lucky?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just an update. It's been bugging the hell out of me not being able to smoke. I'm waiting until it clears up totally and probably a week after that. After two weeks of brushing with my new spinbrush, flossing, and mouthwashing three times a day with the addition of a water pick twice a day I've seen a huge improvement. I've backed off to brushing twice a day and substituted waterpicking for the afternoon brushing I was doing the last two weeks and it seems to have given the gums a break and they seem to be healing up quicker. I might go to a routine of at least mouthwashing or maybe even water picking after every smoke when I can start up again.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
That would be a good idea for everyone to do after smoking.. I want to get the 30 second tooth brush..that looks good.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Echopipe, I think your tooth problem was an unfortunate coincidence in timing with your starting to smoke. I've had a couple of abcesses, but that was BEFORE I started smoking a pipe. (I've never smoked cigarettes or cigars.) Since smoking a pipe, I have not had any issues.
I really think that it is possible that I will have BETTER oral hygiene since smoking a pipe. I have and use, for the first time, a Sonic toothbrush, a Waterpik, and I use mouthwash and floss often instead of once every few days.
One suggestion I read from a physician's article is to vary the position of the pipe in your mouth from side to side. I'm used to doing this and it is no problem.
Also, about half my pipes are P-lips, so alternating between straight and P-lip draws might also be beneficial.
I know nothing, but I hope that helps.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well it's been about three weeks or so now, and the gums are in a lot better shape and have healed up pretty nicely. So, this morning I decided to give a pipe a try. Just had a half filled break in bowl of Sunset Breeze in my Peterson Aran 268. Figured a half a bowl would be a good start, plus I still have a few more bowls to go until the 268 is broken in. Everything went fine with the smoke. Love the Amaretto casing on the Va., Burley, and Black Cavendish tobacco. Afterwards I just used my Crest Pro-Health mouthwash and everything seems to be going well. I might wait until Wed. for my next pipe, just to make sure nothing happens. Once again, thanks for all of the advice and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.