PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
What are some of the oddest (if there is such a thing) of commercially available tobacco’s that you have mixed/blended together with great results, i.e. Lane 1-Q with Lane BCA, etc. ? My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I did a search on it and came up with nothing.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I have a blend that I mix for myself 14 oz's of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed and 8 oz's of C&D'S Crooner. They are both cube cut and blend together very well, smooth no bite and a great taste and room note. :puffy:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've experimented from time to time with blending, but the only one that I keep on hand and cellar is a blend I call "Fat Albert". It's a 50/50 blend of Prince Albert and black cavendish. It makes for a nice, mild aro.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Every shitty cherry blend I've ever tried... produced a decent smoke after I let it mellow.
I recently just pooled all the samples of blends that I had that weren't extraordinary into an aromatic jar and an English jar.
I put them all in a large bowl and mix them up, then put them in air tight jars. I rehydrate them in the jars and mash them down as tight as I can with a solid stainless steel ice cream scooper lol.
I will leave them alone for a year or so and they always turn out amazing.
Its truly a wonder what time, tobacco, and water can create. Even if they are made up of blends you truly despise.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I've got a few, the first was a suggestion from a former member 50/50 Carter Hall and Walnut, but unfortunately Walnut is being discontinued (I think). The second was also from around here, but I don't remember who suggested it, but 50/50 Prince Albert and 1Q. The last I discovered by myself when I was first learning about Latakia, it is 75/25 C&D Canal Boat and Carter Hall.

~Ron

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I once mixed up some aromatic samples I'd gotten from 4Noggins (a few Three Blind Moose, a Button Bay, and Killington) with Carter Hall, McClelland Blending Perique, Frog Morton Original, McClelland Drama Reserve, and a little 1-Q. It was just an eyeballing kind of situation; I was looking to throw together something that smelled inoffensive and had some decent flavor and depth to it specifically for use during a pub crawl with about 20 or so of my cousins. Surprisingly, it was a success. I ended up with about three ounces after blending and have got about two left. I'm afraid to smoke it often because I wasn't paying attention to ratios AT ALL, and it actually turned out pretty well. But, unfortunately, when it's gone it's gone. So it's become a treat for my rare social endeavors. :mrgreen:

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I used to do 50/50 CAO Eileen's Dream and Dunhill Flake (rubbed out). The DF helped cut the aromatic (which is incredibly sweet) to a manageable level. I have a tin of Sutliff's St. George's Blend, which I understand is a berry aromatic that I will likely need to do the same with should I ever get around to popping it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
pete03 wrote:
I've experimented from time to time with blending, but the only one that I keep on hand and cellar is a blend I call "Fat Albert". It's a 50/50 blend of Prince Albert and black cavendish. It makes for a nice, mild aro.
Quite a coincidence that you mention that mix as that is, more or less, why I brought up my question! I just for the hell of it and out of curiosity I purchased some Carter Hall. It smoked nice/mild, no bite whatsoever, somewhat of a nutty taste and more akin to a straight 'tobacco', taste (hard to explain). I liked it, but it seemed to be missing something seeing that I like aeros and a newcomer to pipe smoking after having failed at some 35+ years ago.
Anyway, I decided to mix some of it (half and half) with Captain Black 'Dark', which is straight Cavendish, and something I've always had a difficult time in keeping lit albeit I like it's taste/aroma. As it turns out I enjoyed it and it seemed to be quite a nice mix. Maybe I'll refer to it as 'Captain Carter'. :puffy:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
C&D Bayou Morning VaPer with a pinch of Newminster Danish Black.
The VaPer is for me, the Danish Black is for the wife's nose.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
After a few horrible blending attempts I finally hit paydirt with a 50/50 blend of 5100 and Nut Brown Burley. Kind of fabulous.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I've made quite a few, including a couple of English/Balkans that had a dozen ingredients ranging from commercial mixtures to blending components. The simplest (and also one of the best) was just to add some latakia to Carter Hall (for more complexity, instead of straight latakia use something like Odyssey or Ten Russians). The flavors mesh together very well. I also had some success mixing 4 ounces of Classic Burley Cake with and ounces each of latakia and Full Virginia Flake.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've had success with blending Mac Baren Navy Flake with Peterson Irish Flake (2 to 1), Mac Baren Navy Flake with perique, Bright CR with Perique and I have a latakia flake mixture that has 7 different latakia/balkan flakes mixed together. Its been simmering for about five years now.
Few successes, many failures.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Its a classic blend for sure. My old all day smoke was 3/4 prince albert 1/4 Black cav from smokers friendly. I once tried adding blending Perique to it, that one put hair in strange places! May of had a bit of a heavy hand on that one!
Sadly I dont do much home blending anymore, laziness I suppose. When out and about I smoke either 1Q, PA or half n half.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
When I worked at a Tinder Box in the 1980s, I came up with a blend I really really liked. Because I was enamored with "My Lady Nicotine," I called it "Arcadia," and we actually kept it out on the tobacco jar bar.
Looking back, it was an odd combination of some mild aromatics with a latakia-based English. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did some of our customers.
Unfortunately, all of the blend names are the Tinder Box labels; I have no idea what the names would be on the bulk market (although all of our TB blends at the time were from Lane and Stokkebye).
2 parts Norse Gold

1 part Aalborg

1 part Sherlock's Choice
The only other house-made blend we kept out on the bar was called P&F, named for the two employees who put it together. It was 1/2 Connoisseur and 1/2 Norse Gold, with an additional pinch or two of latakia. Alas, P&F was more popular than my own Arcadia...
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I call my efforts at putting tobaccos together mixing. Blending is when you use pressure or at least age

different tobaccos together to bring together their flavors. I just feel pretentious saying I'm blending.

There are real professional blenders on Forums, and I don't want them to laugh too hard and put out their

pipes. I've tried many mixes, but a standard one involves a Virginia --plain, blended, or aro -- put together

with a plain burley, usually Lanes Burley Without Bite, and some Black Cavendish, plain or aro (whatever I

have to spare in all cases). Usually these do pretty well. If I have a strong tobacco and want a mellower

one, I usually mix it with some burley. Unlike one of the members who posted above, when I put together

a bunch of small quantities of tobacco, more or less randomly, I have found it to be harsh and not flavorful,

and aging it does not help. But this is probably coincidental to which tobaccos you happen to use.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
One of the local B&M's always has Virginia No 1 for $3 an ounce. One of my favorite blends lately is a 50/50 mix with Prince Albert. Truly an extraordinary smoke. Chocolate Nutty Burley and spicy Virginia. So nice...and inexpensive!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Carter Hall with a pinch of Five Brothers just to give it a little oomph. Make sure to mix well as it'll smack you in the face if you hit a pocket of FB. I call it the Surly Burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.