PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
003-068-0020.jpg

Just to be clear this is the culprit right?
I heard so much so i just ordered 5 tins while i had the chance lol.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
JYD, the two flakes are not even made of the same tobaccos so that would be impossible. Wessex is straight VA and Marlin has Cavendish and Perique.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
JYD, the two flakes are not even made of the same tobaccos so that would be impossible. Wessex is straight VA and Marlin has Cavendish and Perique.
There you go that proves they aren't the same blend which i knew already, but i was under the impression that JYD probably meant that is it worth getting BCDF if MF is equally as good. of course thats all opinionated but i also wonder the same thing.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I haven't tried Marlin but BCDF is an amazing Virginia experience. It's not magical or transcendental of course but it is good. I think the Cavendish and perique would provide a much different although, I'm sure good, flavor. When it comes to something like Penzance or BCDF I think it's important to remember it's just tobacco. The hype doesn't make it better but it also doesn't make it worse. Just don't build it up to be the end all be all, I think that is where most disappointment comes from. So while I wouldn't pay ebay prices for a tin of the stuff, it's well worth a try. If you like it then join the game and if not, you've got it easier than those of us who do. There are blends that I am sure are every bit as good but it's not the same exact taste and I want that exact taste, as long as it doesn't get ridiculous trying to get some.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I only tried MF and I can say there's no périque in there.

I have plans to try it but have not. That said, I can't find any source claiming it's a straight VA, they all list Cav and Perique. Are you certain you didn't miss it due to the melding of flavors? Perhaps someone with more specific blend knowledge can chime in on this?

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Yesterday, this stuff was challenging to snag. Today, it's easily available. Timing is everything.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have smoked both Rattray's Marlin Flake and BCDF... not the same by a long shot.

May 31, 2012
So cool!
Many thanks Bradley!
I literally just got home and logged in, saw your post, zipped to SP and scored some tins, finally!
:D

happy!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I once knew a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac that would stay up all night wondering if there really was a Dog! :D
Oh yeah ... Thanks Bradley!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I have to agree with others here, i have a tin and have smoked marlin flake and it is nothing like BCDF, not even close. I like BCDF better and probably won't buy any more marlin flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.