Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Kind of a strange couple of questions here...
I am thinking about ordering up a "Blakeney's Best Baked" sample pack, but as I haven't had much experience with latakia, or any with perique, I am not sure if sampling a toasted blend will give me the true experience of the "condiment" tobaccos. Can anyone explain how toasting effects the flavour profile of a blend?
Secondly, and this is the real strange one, pretty much everything I can find on the internet about toasted tobacco's seems to have to do with smoking something else; they are toasting the tobacco to remove toxic constituents and nicotine. This is not something I would enjoy - I love my vitamin N, so before I invest in four tins, I've got to know, are toasted tobacco's going to be particularly mild in this department?
Finally, how does toasting tobacco differ from the heat curing methods (IE dark fired)? As I understand it, the heat curing methods help to age the tobacco, bringing out the natural sugars from the leaf. Does toasting have the same effect?

hessenland

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2011
Moscow, ID
Your post sparked some curiosity in me about toasting. I would like to know more about that as well, if it indeed has the ability to lower nicotine content. All day Irish Flake would be heaven...

Status
Not open for further replies.