PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Dear friends of Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania,

There has been much discussion on various forums about the future of Standard Tobacco and its blends. To paraphrase Mark Twain, the news of our impending demise is premature.

I want to empathetically say that Standard Tobacco fully intends to soldier on through these uncertain times and we look forward to bringing new and exciting blends to market in the coming weeks. There are new blends under the Dobie’s and Murray’s names now available for pre-order on the P&C website (type in the names in their search engine). Dobie’s and Murray’s have been in the planning process for several months. Also, we will be seeing the finished War Horse Bar and War Horse Green this week in anticipation of putting them on the P&C site before August 8.

Regarding the existing Standard Tobacco blends, we remain committed to the John Cotton, Bengal Slices and War Horse Ready Rubbed blends. However, at the end of the day this is a business for all concerned parties. Sales of our John Cotton blends have not been as robust as we had hoped so there are inventories yet to be drawn down. Nothing insures continuance like a full order book. That being said our partners at P&C remain supportive and committed to the success of the Standard Tobacco lines.

Navigating the labyrinth of the new FDA Deeming regulations is daunting to say the least and no one can say with absolute certainty what the final outcome will be. So, we will continue with our business as usual while hoping that some positive changes for our industry will be resolved in the near future.

Finally, to our customers and friends in the pipe community, we want to thank you for your overwhelming support and kindness. Standard Tobacco was born from a dream and a “what if we did this” conversation. Much hard work went into faithfully re-creating the blends we have today. This work came from a love of the hobby and a willingness to share with others. We intend to stay true to those principles and continue to fight for rights of all pipe smokers to make informed decisions about their personal lives.
John Fruhmann (papipeguy)

CEO- Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
A very excellent approach to the coming problems. For if we do not hang together,surely we shall all hang separately ! As I have been told and tell. Don't tell me why something can't be done, tell me how it can.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for the update, John. Many a row to hoe before calling it a day, if ever, and you have many supporters out there (and here!)

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the update, John. I wish all of you all the best and hope that you can keep going as long as possible.
Andy

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So I'm still confused. Are you saying that you are going to keep up with the production of the Cotton, War Horse and Bengal Slice blends? I find it strange that just two days ago you all released a statement on Facebook explaining that this would be the last of the production and to buy while you still can. And buy I did! I made a very large purchase I most definitely wouldn't have made if I hadn't of read the official announcement on Facebook, I'm sure others have done the same.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The 5 current blends, War Horse, Bengal Slices and the three John Cotton's will be going away, unless the FDA changes the deeming regulations and either allows post 2007 blends to be grandfathered or greatly relaxes the Substantial Equivalency application requirements to allow "Substantially Similar" blends. They would also have to substantially lower the cost of the application, now estimated in the tens of thousands of dollars. Right now, there is zero indication that will happen. The only other pathway that we'd have to keep selling these blends would be to go through the FDA's Premarket Authorization process as a new product. The cost for that application is now estimated to be well over $100,000 and has a multitude of other hurdles that, even if we could afford it, would make approval unlikely.
All of the post 2007 blends that are not granted either an SE or PMA must be off the market by 8-2018. Given that the distributor of our products does not wish to be stuck with unsold product in August of 2018, we have been told that, at best, these 5 SToP blends will be available for the next 18 months, and more likely, only until the current stock sells out. Again, the caveat here is that if the current stock sells out quickly, then there may well be another production run if they feel that they can sell it all quickly. And if Congress can force the FDA to move the grandfather date up, then our original 5 blends would be saved. That option is very unlikely at this point in time.
Nothing is definitive, as nobody knows exactly what the FDA is going to do next, because, quite frankly, I don't think that they do, either. What is certain, is that a lot of blends will be disappearing between now and August of 2018.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
unless the FDA changes the deeming regulations and either allows post 2007 blends to be grandfathered or greatly relaxes the Substantial Equivalency application requirements to allow "Substantially Similar" blends. They would also have to substantially lower the cost of the application, now estimated in the tens of thousands of dollars.
So now we know what to demand when the Revolution reaches Washington. Good luck, chaps. This FDA thing is just another one of those details of modern life that suggest its spring has sprung.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
thanks and good luck good sir, i do love Bengal Slices and do not want it to go away.

Jun 4, 2014
Thank you for the update, as a business owner I know the pain of compliance with government regulations. Hoping that the future is bright for the company.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That and the current live entertainment in Philadelphia.
I just like the name Philadelphia. I am sure the live entertainment is dubious.
Good luck, brothers of the leaf and flame.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dan and John:
I'm embarrassed and ashamed that our current state of federal affairs has come to this. Sadly, smoking has become the great evil and that a smoker unfriendly administration has our "best interests" at heart.
I know the opera isn't over yet, and the fat lady is still seated, but please know that I applaud your imagination, grit, chutzpah and sand to bring these old blends back to market. I could rail on, at length, but I'd get binned and banned by the powers at be - and rightfully so. We're politics free here but it's still sad that a piece of federal legislation will more than likely neuter your start up.
Thank you all for resurrecting the dead and giving so many smokers a taste of the past. You caught a high, hard one to the temple and my greatest hope is that you'll be able to fully recover any and all personal monies invested.
Sincerest best wishes for all future ventures.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This whole situation makes me sad. A buddy recently invested in a small cigar lounge in my town, it was to be his retirement. Now, he's now sure they will be able to soldier on. I'm sure those stories are all across the nation. Hopefully some of the recent lawsuits, etc. will at least delay enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.