Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I looked at your site. I've made the following notes:
1. I see you're not selling anything(at this time) - you might want to note that in your "win free tobacco post".
2. I applaud the enthusiasm to want to launch a pipe site on pipes and pipe tobacco. I do question if you have really spent the time to look at the market to determine where your site would fit in based on the sites already out there including this one (pipesmagazine).
3. While I understand you're super excited about launching your blog that I suspect you hope will drive advertisement dollars and maybe allow you to sell something - spamming forums the way you are currently doing is a guaranteed way to get booted from said places.
4. When launching a website that is blog centric (content driven)- some to-dos would be to generate some content on the site first; some great articles, content, other items (more than say, the 3-4 you do have now), before you advertise to get people to come to your site.
5. If you've got a contest for a giveaway, consider your audience demographics. I suspect you won't find a huge number of twitter pipers. You have a growing group of youtube presenters, but on these forums you've got a wide range of guys, and as I've already seen a comment - along the lines of "I have no idea how to do what you're asking to win". I suggest you reconsider your rules for teh contest.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
pylorns they do have a website you can contact them at, and if this message was supposed to go to him personally then a private message would be better, this really doesn't relate to everyone here.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I agree with you pylorns. I might be crazy, but I am always hesitant to click on links offering free stuff. It reeks of computer virus to me!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sadly, The Briar Guys posts reek of SPAM and they come off looking like rank amateurs by making multiple posts in all caps. Their "About" page actually says nothing about who they are. I will be very surprised if they are not booted shortly.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
@wnghanglow
I think you are their only defender across the multiple threads. Friendship is an admirable trait. But, I'd suggest you and they cut your losses.
What should now happen is a brief, formal apology on their part. Anything else from you or them is counterproductive.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
jkenp, I am not defending them, I am only trying to make sure everyone here acts like adults and handles this situation maturely. I am actually a little disappointed in how quick to judge and mean spirited some of the forum members here have been. Yes it is likely briairguys is spam, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions and we shouldn't make posts with no goal other than to rant.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@wnghanglow thus my post here. I've PM'd the guy as well. I suggest others that might have constructive feed back should post here. I really think what we have here is over-excited guys who don't know much about marketing or "gorilla-marketing" who just want people to come to their site.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Yes it is likely briairguys is spam, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions and we shouldn't make posts with no goal other than to rant.
I politely disagree. We're a sort of family here. There are rules by which we all play by and trust is earned over time. This fellow is not only very new, but hasn't even bothered to read the rules. It's possible that he/they may have no ill intentions since their site seems like an honest attempt to attract people interested in pipes.
However, they seem to lack basic common sense in how they are going about attracting visitors. There's a reason other sites are paying for banners after all. Perhaps they think they've figured out how to get free advertising - lol

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I'de say the free advertising worked as it got us to their site, but I like Pylorns, saw nothing of content to hold my attention. Anything they are discussing we have already discussed on here to the 9th degree. I'm not knocking pipe blogs either, there are some really cool ones out there, but there are better ways to get noticed and build a good reputation.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If Kevin did not give his permission for the original post then it is spam, plain and simple. I am sure Kevin will deal with it when he sees it.
Coming to another man's place of business and advertising without permission is disrespectful and wrong.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The multiple posts feels like a three-year-old at the grown-ups' party running around naked after his bath.

Someone has to gather him up and carry him gently back to his room and put him to bed. Good night,

little guy. Some day you can join the grown-ups' party. Sleep tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.