PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Couldn't find any thread already created that addresses this...Sorry to the Mods if it escaped my search.
I am going to the Oral Surgeon to have a broken tooth removed in a couple of weeks. My doctor doesn't know I smoke a pipe. Just wondered if maybe this is something I should let the surgeon in on. (Oral Cancers...etc) Rationally, I wonder if he's going to know anyway? Your thoughts?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
IF you tell him/her, he/she may just look around in there to have a look-see.

IF they begin to lecture you, ask him/her to stop.

And make the distinction between a cigarette smoker and a pipe smoker.

If they are informed they will know the difference.

My physician and dentist know I smoke a pipe.

No problem.

:puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just my opinion, for what it's worth, but there's no way I'd say anything about it unless asked. After all, these are the same people who are still trying to tell us that fluoride is good for our teeth. If anyone still believes that, I got a beautiful bridge you might be interested in (not a dental bridge, btw).

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Anyone in Medical Profession who is responsible for helping you in anyway deserves to know. It is not going to make one iota of diff to Dentist or you. Honestly is always the best policy, especiall if something happens later on down the road. FYI I am 47 yrs old, have smoked for over 30yrs, never had a cavity or filling etc., nor am I missing any teeth.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
(Rant on) My old doctor, who was quite a bit over weight, tapped my cigar case which was in my pocket, and exclaimed "Still smoking, aye?" I patted his belly and said "still morbidly over eating, aye?" He never brought it up again. I don't want to offend anybody who is a few pounds over what our medical experts say is good, but It leads into how impossibly stupid people are when they criticize, only to have one, or more glaring issues of their own. The older I get, the more apparent it becomes that a lot of folks just don't know what the hell they're talking about. Too many seem to neurotically worry about other peoples choices, most of which have no effect on their own lives. Be honest, but be wise. (Rant off) Damn, I'm glad it's Friday!!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It seems pointless to lie to any health care professional about smoking.

If they're worth their salt they'll be aware that you're smoking, and

you'll look foolish for denying it. If you succeed in fooling them,

you should seek medical care from a more astute physician.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
This may be to simplified, but whenever I go to the Doc or Dentist, I always have

a pipe stem sticking out of my pocket. They are going to know you smoke if they are

worth their salt... (Tobacco stains on your teeth is one clue), and I'd rather them

know it's pipes and not cigarettes.
TopD

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
They will know ... anybody who looks in peoples mouths for a living probably could tell you what you had for lunch based on the goop between your teeth.
Particularly if you have surgery in your mouth, if you smoke while it's healing, you're going to have some pain.
I'm sure somebody down at the medical association will say that it could cause spontaneous combustion and temporary anal leakage if you do, but my guess is that you'll be fine puffing while it heals so long as you can handle the sting.
You should be upfront about it for sure. They're there to give you medical care, not counsel you on life choices.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I am 19 and only recently picked up the pipe. Never had a major problem with my teeth and use whitening toothpaste regularly. I don't see a real need to tell the dentist at this stage, only see them twice a year.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Tell him whatever you feel safe telling him...good luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5Qk-jB0D4

superbob

Lurker
Mar 26, 2011
Victoria, Canada
I was upfront and informed my dentist that I smoke pipes and the occasional cigar. He was pretty cool about it. He suggested we do routine oral cancer screening which consists of a visual inspection under natural light and also a special blue exam light. Since I'm a smoker in my 30's, he suggested I have this done every 3 years when normally he recommends this every 4 years. My extended medical insurance does not cover this exam which costs me $33 in Canada. I'm happy to pay it and I plan to do it every 2 years.
He has never given me a moral lecture. Once he gave me a 15 second talk about how smoking slightly increases the rate of gum recession because nicotine constricts blood vessels. Slightly more so with alcohol intake.
If an oral surgeon told me to lay off smoking until my mouth heals, I'd probably follow his/her advice.
I hope your surgery goes well!

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I'd tell them, my dentist always does a check for oral cancers, it does increase your risk so it might just make him look a little more thoroughly rather than a cursory exam.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
They are not the smoke police, they hold no power over you, so do not let them. IF, he/she sees something that looks odd, he/she may comment on it like, your teeth are pretty brown, do you drink lots of coffee or smoke? The you answer, yes I smoke a pipe.
Really, unless there is some reason, medically, that you should say something, why would you volunteer it? It you be like saying, he doc, by the way, I am a vegetarian. Both are just life choices. You hold the power.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm of the same camp as nsfisher and others who think you should just tell the truth to your dentist, doctor, friends, family, hell...pretty much anyone you encounter. They can't do their job properly without all the facts bro. Like going to see a mechanic and not telling him your clutch is slipping because you are embarrassed to let him know how you drive. Better off telling him dude I don't know what the hell I am doing wrong but I keep smouldering clutches. That allows him to 1 fix what is wrong with your clutch and 2 probably tell you how to adjust your driving habits to prevent further clutch issues. Maybe you don't care, maybe you are just going to go on smouldering clutches. That's fine. Nobody said you had to listen to your mechanic or your doctor. All I'm sayin' is drop the silly pride and fear of judgement and tell the truth in all you do.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes,Yes, indeed! Glad someone brought this up. I just asked Wife to make me a Dentist appt. Haven't been to Dentist since 1999! Gonna go and get a cleaning I think.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I haven't been to the dentist since 2004. Then again I am nearly 40 years old and have 2 cavities in total. In fact that 2004 visit was for those cavities. Dentist says I don't get cavities because I eat well and have space bwtween my teeth so lucky me I guess. He noticed a bit of staining on my back teeth from the pipe and asked about it and proceeded to lecture. I told him to save his breath, fix my cavities and take my money.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
Honesty, definitely the right approach. I can't recall where I found it, but I read an article about 2 years ago on this subject and the point the author was getting at is that we all increase chances of various problems related to our pipe smoking. So you might as well do your part to keep your mouth healthy. Brush regularly, floss and see the dentist as often as they suggest. Yes we are all taking a risk so why not take extra care of our mouths.
P.S. It's great seeing nfisher and ohin3f post back to back, you two look like brothers!

Status
Not open for further replies.