PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
stan-stem-600x448.jpg

So I bought this estate, a Stanwell horn Sixtus shape 213. One of the reasons I bought it is because it is a small pipe, at about 4.5 inches, and I like small pipes. I also like Stanwells. I got it for a steal, in my opinion.
I was excited because I had never seen this particular shape come in under six inches. The reason why, I realize now, is because the stem does not belong to the pipe. The stem belongs to a small straight sixtus and must have been switched out at some point.
I have no desire to return the pipe. I have smoked the pipe, it smokes well and is balanced fine. Part of me though, feels that I am missing that graceful Danish line that should be there if the stem was original as the carver intended.
So should I have a new, shorter bent stem made? Should I have the impostor stem bent to fit the lines of the pipe? Any experts care to chime in?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Not an expert, but I like it as it is, although it would be interesting to see the original stem, Ugh Im torn

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Smoke it and enjoy, unless your pipes are an investment for you or you are a stickler about the details I'd say don't stem it. Beautiful pipe by the way!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
So should I have a new, shorter bent stem made? Should I have the impostor stem bent to fit the lines of the pipe?
Sallow- I think you meant a LONGER bent stem made? If it was mine, I would compromise, use a little heat and bend the stem to the desired shape......... It will be a bit short, but if you got it for a steal, why not?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sallow- I think you meant a LONGER bent stem made? If it was mine, I would compromise, use a little heat and bend the stem to the desired shape......... It will be a bit short, but if you got it for a steal, why not?
My thinking exactly. That stem would be perfect with a slight bend.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks, but I don't feel qualified to attempt a stem bend myself.
I had a bowl of mac baren club blend in this today, sort of a double danish. I think I'm going to leave it as is, it is a good smoker.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Does it match up okay,except for being straight? Maybe it was supposed to be straight? But If it were me (and I can be anal) I would have one made. Only cause everytime I would look at it I would say to myself "something just is not right"

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
It matches up fine and the stem is not loose.
I like the incorrect stem because it makes it a short pipe, the proper stem makes the pipe too long for my taste.
What a nice line though, with the proper stem. Thanks snagstangl.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm also a fan of short pipes and if that lovely was mine I'd heat up some water, soak the stem (removed from the pipe) and as a slight bend into it. That would be a sexy short pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.