PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Some here may have read my post about my recent problem with my glasses and them cleaning my extremely shallow pockets out. (Two weeks of pay believe it or not) Well now I am left with the dilemma of my cellar which contains a jar of LBF, LNF, and tins I won from the cartoon contest a few months back. I really wanted to cellar these to get some age on them and see how they tasted after a few years but now I am running low on tobacco and debating popping some of them to hold me over a bit. My current rotation consists of about 1/2 oz of LBF and LNF less than a 1/4 of Dark star and a recently popped tin from the cellar of Klondike Gold that was gifted to me with 4 bowls out of it so far.
Popping them would mess with the aging process wouldn't it? Should I just pop them and use them as a daily smoke or wait it out and enjoy the fruits of my patience? I have a few cigars that could possibly hold me over but cigars honestly just don't really do it for me. At least not the sticks I have tried yet.
I would like like to hear your opinions. Thanks and happy lunting.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would pop one or two right now. Of course, I like the exuberance of younger tobaccos.

The only aged tobacco in my cellar got that way because I stock-up against an uncertain future.

I have always thought that aging was overrated -- altho I have had some aged red Va flakes that definitely benefited.

If you open a tin and transfer the unsmoked portion to a Mason jar, the aging process will go in a direction

that differs from that of an unopened tin. That may actually be an improvement! So give it a go right now. :puffy:
BTW, from what I have read, Pease states that the most noticeable changes in a blend occur at the 6 month milestone.

Continued, but more subtle, improvements are noticeable after intervals that go something like 1 yr., 2yrs., 5yrs., 10yrs., etc.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
why not wait until you run out of your current rotation? I'm not sure how fast you smoke, but it sounds like you have maybe 2-3oz of tobacco left. if you go by the math of ~2g per bowl, and 3oz is 100g, you should have 50 smokes left. Might only last you a week, but might be longer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Low on tobacco? Open those tins. It's gratifying when something develops some age and improves,

but most of us don't have the funds nor the patience to age tobacco. Actually, that's supposed to be

done by the blenders before we buy the tobacco, and often is! Need a smoke? Pop that tin, right now.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Pipe tobacco is meant to be smoked, not to sit in the tin while the smoker perversely prides himself on his/her resistance to temptation. If you have the funds put some aside, but otherwise pop, stuff, light, puff - ENJOY! Your wheel will turn and in the near future you will be able cellar with pride. Right now, smoke the bastard!
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.