PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I was smoking an English blend in Nording pipe. Being the first pipe I have ever bought, so there is some meaning behind it. I was smoking an English blend in it and it was rather a really good smoke. But as I neared the bottom of the bowl, noticed that the lacquer finish was bubbling in a small spot. Since I figured this to be operator error from smoking it too hot. But I wonder if there is a weak spot in the briar. If there is a weak spot, then it wouldn't be worth fixing. I am going to smoke it as is for right now and see what happens.
38DFE644-1FFF-4A1B-BCB7-E89B346C0B8A_zps8fmb1dbh.jpg

May 31, 2012
I'd either keep it as it is and keep enjoying it...
...or remove the lacquer and re-stain it.
Looks like some nice grain!
Thick walls too I'd reckon,

it's got life left innit fersure!

:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd say it's an imperfection in the finish but not a process that will burn through the bowl, at all.

As a project, you could refinish it, or send it to a good pipe repairman who could refinish it like

new, or just smoke it as is. I think a few battle scars are badges of honor, but it just depends on

how you feel about it.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Even with a reputable brand there are sometimes defects in the shellac or whatever the coating is. Not necessarily a defect with the briar. Three choices: send it off to an experienced restorer, rub down with xxxx steel wool in the area and wax with carnauba wax, or just ignore it. Doesn't look like a defect in the briar.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
As long as it is smokable I will smoke it. Thanks for all the replies. I am going to keep it as is for right now. For future reference, what is a good place to restore pipes? Thanks!

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
i bought a nording freehand from a B&M and had a similar thing happen in the same spot. although the walls were thick it was much thinner right in that spot. I brought it back to the shop two years later to see what the tobacconist could do. He sent it back to Nording and said he would call me when he heard from them. 4 months later i got a call from the shop owner who said they cant do anything to it but he gave me store credit for the worth of the pipe. If I were you I would start with the point of purchase.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A gent I do some refurb/restoration work for has sent me two high grade ( a 16 and a 20) Nording pipes that had developed "hot spots" or burn out. Both had a sharply tapered bowl,wide at the rim but thin toward the bottom and where the shank joins the bowl. The 20 required a plug.

Hopefully your problem is just a bad spot in the finish and not a thin area that could lead to a hot spot or burnout. Can't really tell much from your pic.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
The draft is really open on the only Nording I own and when smoked outside, even the slightest breeze gets that spot hot to the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.