To P-Lip or Not to P-Lip...'Tis the Question...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
I've been debating for quite some time on a Peterson System pipe. I know, I know...quality control has reportedly been questionable the last few years...but I still am overly curious. I've found a style that I like in their Darwin series. My question is this, in a system pipe is it beneficial to invest in one with a P-lip or a fishtail?
I already own a handful of Peterson's. In fact, one of my go-to's is an Aran 268. I struggled for quite some time with the P-lip on this one. I found it doesn't seem to do much as far as tongue bite can go and in fact, I found myself sliding a pipe cleaner down the stem on a regular basis (and more than any other pipe I own) due to ease of moisture build-up and gurgle. I chalked much of that up to the 'Zulu' shape and near-straight stem.
I've done some thread delving and I've read mixed reviews. Some like the p-lip and some hate it. But, I've also read mention of some recommending it specifically with the system-style of pipes while preferring to skip it with their non-system.
Thoughts or recommendations?

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Personally, I have 4 P-Lips and really like them. They do smoke differently and it takes a few minutes to adjust to them. Given the choice, I'd chose a P-Lip over the FT.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
As I mentioned in another post, I've got 12 Petersons, all but one P-lips. I find that they feel very good in the mouth, and the P-lip doesn't seem to impede the smoke's flavour in any way. Many folks complain about difficulties in cleaning them, but, for heaven's sake, with a System pipe, you can remove the stem even while the pipe is warm, and any thin and/or tapered pipe cleaner slips in smoothly. And, of course, the System design keeps the smoke dry and gurgle-free. As for easing tongue burn, I can't speak to this, as I've never had a problem with it.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Red, I smoke Peterson System pipes w/p-lip bit on a regular basis. I love them. As with any other pipes, there are many variables to getting the best smoke out of a particular pipe/blend combo. First about the gurgle, try smoking slower and maybe let your blend dry out a while. I smoke some blends that I need to let air out for 20 to 30 minutes before loading or they smoke too wet and gurgle a lot. If you smoke a wet blend too fast you can also cause the excess wetness to condense in the stem, causing gurgle.
Slowing down can also help resolve tongue bite if you are smoking to fast. As you can see there is no one easy answer but don't be afraid to vary the variables and you should be able to hit upon the solution for the particular blend & pipe. Also keep asking questions. There is a lot of knowledge available through this frum. happy puffin',
Dave

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It seems to me that Systems smoke "properly" with the P-Lip, at least when i smoke'em. The other Petes it doesn't much matter, although it gives a slightly different dimension to the smoke flow. I'm not a clencher so the extra shelf is a non-issue.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I find little difference between the tails and lips with regard to taste or comfort. My Peterson pipes are mostly P-lips. Years ago I was pretty hard on stems. I do not recollect ever having to replace a P-lip. Now that I've leaned, after 50 some years, not to chew the damned things all my bits last longer.
I tend to rest my pipe between my molars so the smoke from a P-lip doesn't flow directly to the roof or tongue as it is diffused by my teeth. If you are one who keeps the pipe between the front teeth a P-lip directs the smoke upwards. A fish tail, held the same way directs the smoke across the tongue. When I'm enjoying a pipe leisurely in the house I let the smoke roll around in my mouth and exhale it through my nose. So the bit and the location of the smoke hole have little to do with the taste of the blend.
It's of personal choice I believe. Although I've never quite understood how an inanimate object, the bit, can generate so much emotion from some people. If one doesn't like a P-lip one should use a fish tail. Try it out, if you do not like a P-lip you can always have the bit changed should you thoroughly enjoy the pipe itself.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I used to dislike p lips but lately I've taken to smoking English blends out of them. I don't care to smoke VaPers from them however.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
I had reached the boiling point with my frustration with the only P-lip I have and after finding out all you have to do is file down the button with a bastard file, I made this modification and I absolutely love this pipe now. Seriously only took a $6 set of files and about 10 minutes, and I am by no means a handyman. It doesn't smoke like a true fishtail as the smoke is still directed slightly upward, but I am able to rest it in my mouth exactly like the rest of my pipes now and can "sip" smoke off the end without the hole being covered.
It doesn't sound like your experience is that bad since you are still considering a P lip, but after experiencing how easy the modification is, I would suggest to anyone on the fence between the two to go with the P lip and just try the modification if they hate it.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I've done the same mod, dd50, and to good effect. I used a nail file and in 8 minutes it was done. I have to say that the surgery probably reduces the resale value to collector/purist types, but I tend to keep Petersons, so that's not a concern. I've never had a gripe with the smoking qualities of the p-lip, just the comfort of the clench, which is all about dentition. Either your teeth like p-lips or they don't. I think the system works just fine with either stem type.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I have several p-lips. My only complaint is it can be difficult to use a pipe cleaner while smoking.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Not a P-lip fan. If it alleviates tongue bite, then it would necessarily create mouthroof bite. The problem with bite is the cadence, not the geometry.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
If you really don't want to invest a lot of cash to see if you like a P-lip, go to WalkersBriarWorks.com and order a MM cob with a P-Lip Forever stem - whole thing should run under $40. Or, watch for an estate Peterson with one, they are out there.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Out of my 17 Petersons, 7 have P-lips, and 3 of those are System pipes. I like my P-lips just fine. I will say though, there is one of them that I wish had a fish tail, and that's my "31" System. It's a straight billiard, I've found that straight P-lips are not nearly as easy to clench as bent P-lips. In my opinion, bent P-lips are some of the easiest pipes to clench out there, straight ones....not so much.

It's really just a matter of personal preference. If you already have P-lip pipes, then you pretty much know what to expect.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I have the 302 with the fishtail. I will be aquiring one with a p-lip soon. I'm looking forward to testing them out side-by-side.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only one P-Lip, and I enjoy smoking it, but I don't plan to get a second. It doesn't seem to improve

the flavor, doesn't mellow the smoke or decrease bite, if any. I find I have to stick the pipe in my mouth

a little further to get a good draw, which is the only slight annoyance. A fishtail just seems to be the best

designed stem for most people, giving a direct, easily controlled flow. P-Lip isn't bad, but I find no benefit.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Never liked the P-Lip. I don't normally have much trouble with tongue bite with a fishtail, but I never smoked a P-Lip without scorching the roof of my mouth. To me it's just a fix that solves one problem by creating another. But the must be doing something right for a lot of smokers.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I've got two plips and I love them, I also love the system pipes. I've got one peterson killarny that has no plip and no system on it and it is my least favorite to smoke as it accumulates all the junk moisture at the bottom. I mean I don't know about yall but I clean my pipes out after ever use 99% of the time. It takes 3 seconds to clean out the system pipe I just roll up some toilet paper or paper towels and twist it in there and boom its clean, Run a pipe cleaner through the stem and I'm all done. The other two Petes both have plips and systems and I love them both dearly.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
If your asking ill say this. I love Peterson pipes but i Hate the p-lip, it does not sit well in my mouth while clenching nor while holding it in hand and smoking. I cant get it past my big lips properly and it smokes wet. All my Pete's have regular buttons and they will always have regular buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.