PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I usually inhale a few puffs when I smoke, but I know most pipe smokers will try to avoid this. Can I ask you all what your take in this is?

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I guess I only inhale 5% of it, but even if you don't we should regard ourselves as passive smokers.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
ae1pt: I like your signature
PS. You don't need an apostrophe in "4 P's." It should read "4 Ps."

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm a cig smoker so yes I do inhale some. Just try to keep it to a minimum...

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I don't like cigs, but I do inhale some of it. Sometimes I do it through my nose without quite realizing it. Some other times I do it consciously, that is, with intent.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I don't inhale on purpose as I don't smoke for nicotine but I'm aware that some will slip down. If other people choose to inhale then who am I to say that's a bad thing?

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I draw just to the back of my throat and exhale through my mose. I find this to enhance the experience 20 fold.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Anyone who smokers a pipe, or a cigar for that matter is inhaling whether they wish to believe it or not. The mere simple act of letting smoke slowly come out of your mouth and the simple fact that you are breathing while doing so, or at least I hope so, is … inhaling. Now, as to what extent you are consciously doing so is a whole other matter.
I’m a 50+ year cigarette smoker (damn my soul to hell), and I admittedly inhale a wee bit while the pipe is clenched in my mouth, albeit certainly in no way shape or form as to what inhaling would be while smoking a cigarette. Strange as it may seem, I find myself ‘consciously’ inhaling, however small it may be less and less. No matter how you wish to twist and turn it, and or validate smoking a pipe it’s still ‘smoking tobacco’ and it’s harmful, albeit in no way comparable as to cigarettes. But, seeing that I’m already damned I’ll continue to gently puff away with my pipe. Bottom line, like it or not... everyone who smokes a pipe is inhaling the smoke to some extent. ;)

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I try not to inhale very much. I clench quite a bit so I inhale on accident some times. I usually inhale on my last puff of my pipe. I dont really know why but its just a superstitious thing I suppose. A lot of the older pipe smokers that I smoke with in my pipe club inhale about 100 percent of the time, so I guess it is just a personal thing. I get more flavor out of the tobacco if I don't inhale.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Time to quote Paul Szabady again:

Don't even bother smoking a pipe if you're going to inhale the smoke.

The flavor and aroma is lost by inhaling and you negate any health

benefits pipe smoking has over cigarette smoking.

Inhaling a pipe is debasing a noble spiritual art to the level of a

cheap buzz. It misses the whole point.
That's all there is to it.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
@ phil67: I agree with you. What I would say is that we, pipe smokers, are strong passive smokers, for even if you don't inhale, you do at the end of the day. Some people say they train themselves to avoid doing it, but I guess this is all down to a matter of taste. Every time a light up my pipe I'd inhale one of two puffs, but not the rest of it. The nicotine in it will filter into your bloodstream through your stomach, so there is no point in inhaling if you are after it, but some of it will go to your lungs even if you try to avoid it.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I personally don't inhale intentionally. That is to say on a draw. I've tried and find it far too harsh. I do snork quite often, and some times will catch the backend of an exhale.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I smoked cigarettes, about a pack a day, for twenty-five years. I've never felt the urge to inhale my pipe. Ever. It's been over two months since my last cigarette, and I can't imagine ever going back to the coffin nails.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you smoke indoors, you're inhalng, even if it's just the cloud of smoke around you. I don't smoke indoors, except on the rare occasion that I'm at a pipe club meeting. Since I mostly just puff, the amount I'm inhaling is minimal, but there must be some. Probably some when I retrohale. But I don't suck it down into my lungs.

After attending the WCPS, where I was in smoke filled rooms for a couple of days, my lungs ached for a couple of days. I don't experience that at any other time.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I don't inhale on purpose as I don't smoke for nicotine but I'm aware that some will slip down. If other people choose to inhale then who am I to say that's a bad thing?
My feelings exactly.
Anyone who smokes tobacco inhales, that's a given, but I believe the original question is whether you purposely draw the smoke into your lungs or not.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I don't intentionally inhale as with a cigarette but +1 Sablebrush if you smoke in an enclosed area you are inhaling, and yes as for smoke filled rooms I feel it also.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Learning how to smoke a pipe after years of cigarettes has been a revelation and opened doors to enjoyment I had not previously considered.

Sure, I don't NEED to smoke anything. I LIKE to smoke a pipe. I was always feeling bad about my cig smoking and felt the pull of addiction back to them after several significantly lengthy 'quits' through the years.

It was always due to some stressful event that I'd feel the need from deep inside my limbic system to intake some nicotine.

That inner signal now seems happy with pipe smoking w/o inhaling and I don't expect stressful moments to cause me to reach for my rolling papers any time soon.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
As my taste buds are in my tongue and not in my lungs, I don't purposely inhale.

Status
Not open for further replies.