PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbarr

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Hello all. I am wondering, filter or no filter? Is this really just an opinion from smoker to smoker? I started out smoking my pipe without a filter and then figured I would try one to see if it made things even MORE smooth. I could tell a bit of a difference I suppose and used one for about 3 weeks. A couple of days ago I took it out and decided to try without again. I have noticed a bit more flavor but overall not a huge difference. So, what do you guys think? Is this an opinionated question?

jsponge

Lurker
Sep 7, 2014
Personal preference I'd say. Myself, I only use them when smoking some of my cobs with certain tobaccos. Most times, I don't use one, but a few of my cobs have a larger airway, so I'll filter so that I don't get bits of ash and such in my mouth. But I'd say it's completely personal preference.

mjzupon

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
I would say definitely a personal preference.

I prefer non filter pipes, and all of my briars are non filter.

Even my cobs are always smoked without a filter (these are my only pipes that incorporate a filter).

However if you find yourself liking the filter roll with it!

From what I understand filter pipes are very popular in parts of Europe.
Matt

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I use a filter pipe occasionally, especially with wetter tobaccos, or if I'm doing something else and clenching the pipe for a while. This does not happen very often, but when I use a filter I only use two types. In the few pipes that take a 6mm filter (including corn cobs) and the one pipe that takes a 9mm filter, I use only Savinelli balsa wood filters. They are so much better than any other I've found. The only other filters I use are the rock maple filters that are part of the Brigham pipe filter system. I'm not sure they can be used other pipes or not, as they are quite long, but I only use them in my Brigham pipes. As far as any filter system goes they are the best in my opinion, and believe me, opinions on using filters varies a lot! Only you can tell what works for you, so you'll have to do some experimenting. Have fun anyway.... :puffy:

nbarr

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Thanks guys! I figured this was definitely a personal preference. I haven't decided yet weather or not I like them. Without, I feel like I maybe get too much draw and therefore am not able to fully sip.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I personally dont use a filter in any of my pipes. If I was worried about bad stuff that needed to be filtered out, I just wouldnt smoke anything. I prefer all natural with my pipes.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It's not that I dislike filters, except for the 9mm Stanwell's as they are MUCH too restrictive (like trying to suck a golf ball through a water hose). I simply like having the option to occasionally run a pipe cleaner through the stem while smoking which you obviously cannot do with a filter in the stem. As others have said; try them out and see what floats yer boat as there is no right or wrong when it comes to using a filter.

Mar 1, 2014
My two primary uses for a filter are to prevent tobacco bits from getting in my mouth, and to prevent gurgle.

My favourite filter is still a pipe cleaner. I usually just cut an inch or two off of one end and curl it around a 1/16" rod to make a loose spiral. If you do it right you can get them in with very little restriction, and they do a wonderful job trapping crumbs and keeping the moisture down.

The charcoal filters I've tried are indeed much too restrictive, I'm thinking of punching holes in them or removing half the filler, depending on what is actually inside those little capsules.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy having a filter pipe or two (a Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog and a MM cob) for when I want a strong blend

tobacco but not at "full volume." The rest of my pipes are unfiltered, and I moderate my number of bowls. I

can't taste a mild blend through a filter at all, but that's me.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
This is a certainly a personal preference. I always use a filter for pipes that are designed to use a filter because I am careless. I only smoke my non-filter pipes when I am in the mood to pay attention to the smoke.
In addition to using a piece of pipe cleaner to absorb moisture and prevent the tasting of dottle, I've also read that you can crumple up a cigarette paper and put it at the bottom of your bowl. I've never tried this though so practical experience on this would go further than my passing around internet theories.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I don't always use a filter, but when I do, I use Savinelli balsa inserts. I use them in my 6mm Savs and in my cobs. Those little paper things are nasty IMHO.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
If I read ad the original post correct, it sounds like he used the same filter for three weeks. They are really only good for 2-3 bowls, so if used for three weeks it would be really filthy, and effect the taste of the tobacco negatively.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Haha, that's true. I haven't seen any media on this but it seems that Medico pipe filters have changed in the last 3 months (and for the better,how often does that happen in this day and age?). Typically, I could only get 2 smokes out of a Medico with Three Friars and now I can get around 3 to 4 (unless I'm using a bent pipe). If I'm smoking PA or SWR, I can get around 5 - 6 smokes from a filter (half as much in a bent or partial bent).
Bottom line: 3 weeks is far too long unless you're smoking once a week.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I like both. Depends on my mood.
I really only use medico filters, but I would like to try the Brigham rock maple filters.

Mar 1, 2014
Follow up.
Using the Vauen charcoal filters (almost reasonably priced in a 40 pack), I've actually found I like them when I empty half the pellets out first, which greatly reduces the draw. It also sometimes sounds like a maraca while you're smoking. Then after the first bowl I just dump the old pellets and re-load. The paper shell does degrade, so right now I'm tossing those after two bowls.

The best way to get the pellets out is slit the paper shell on opposite sides to loosen its grip on the plastic plug (blue one), then just re-insert farther down to get a good fit again.

I'm starting to think of making a washable holder with a threaded plug for the pellets, and you can bet those charcoal pellets are sold in bulk somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.