PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Ok, here's another silly question. So there are some words of wisdom pretty much written in stone, that one should smoke his bowl of tobacco to the end in order to insure that you build up a cake in the bottom for protection, Well now I've only been doing this a short while, but I was only able to smoke to the bottom of the bowl twice. Most of the time the smoke taste nasty and I just don't see the point in continuing. The idea that the bowl load will taste good to the end was quite exagerated.. for me anyway. Lots of times I wanna dump. And do, but always feel quilty that I didn't do what was supposed to do... i.e. finish the bowl. Am I wrong?

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
No, dump it! What's the point of smoking when no longer enjoyable?
When the taste become nasty, I dump the remains into a bucket where I also dump my coffee grinds. Then, once a week I dump it all into my vegetable garden.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Yeah dump it. I'm a fiend for not bothering to cake the bottom properly.
Good idea though saint, I like it.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Better packing can help get you to the bottom of the bowl. Loose packing for starters. I like getting to the bottom because the dynamics of the smoke changes down there.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I love the flavor of Condor when you get to the bottom of the bowl. The only one I dump out before the bottom is twist on it own which is why I just mix it in with Condor on a 50:50 ratio. I just hate to waste tobacco which is why I recycle dottles in the morning which is a nasty habit but definitely very economical!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the partial packing in the early life of the pipe helps. But the bottom of the bowl usually takes longer

to cake, so don't expect it to happen as early as the middle (which cakes first) or the top (which is usually

second for me). I wipe out my pipes with a paper towel or tissue after every smoke and keep the cake pretty

thin. I don't find a big layer of cake improves the smoking characteristics, and it sure reduces the capacity of

the bowl.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
+1mso

You doing the best way now.

Bottom 1/8 dump and a paper towel clean up is the way of highly recommanded.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
You failed to mention what you smoke normally smoke, English, VA's, Aro, VaPer's? Depending on the moisture level of your favorite tobacco, I'd suggest spreading a bowlful out on some paper and lettng it dry for a while, 15-30 minutes at first and then take a pinch and see that it no longer clumps together. Drying like this does nothing to diminish flavor and in fact may enhance the whole experience for you. If you are smoking briar pipes, make sure that the pipe you are using is clean and well rested,(dry), and load it up and give it a try.
Some pipes due to the drilling simply will not allow a bowl to be smoked to completion no matter what you do. There's no point in forcing the issue if that is the case, smoke it until it gets difficult and dump. There are darn few hard and fast rules in pipe smoking and little is written in stone. If it were, everyone would be doing it.
I enjoy the ritualistic hoop jumping involved in pipe smoking, I also like the fact that it's not a hobby that mainstream fad chasers aspire to. I smoke for the enjoyment of flavor, the contemplative rebooting of my soul, the passion that others like me put into this hobby. My advice is do everything that makes your pipesmoking a pleasant experience and avoid the the things that make it unpleasant, regardless of whether it goes against something you've seen on the Internet. Including all of the above for mine is just one mans opinion and you take that for what it's worth.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I smoke all the way down now that I've finally gotten the packing right.
Just tried Escudo for the first time and found that the bottom was by far the best flavor... left me wanting more! I've found this to be true of other blends also. That said, if it begins to taste bad, dump it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
At first I was wiping out the bowl(s) [new pipes] with a napkin or paper towel after every smoke until I realized that I was never getting any cake whatsoever. Now, after I dump out the tobacco I let the bowl dry out for awhile and then gently swab out the bowl with a bent pipe cleaner. As for getting a cake in the lower third of the bowl do as others have said and just smoke a few third filled bowls.
There is no doubt about it that some tobacco's take on a different and very pleasant taste when you get down to the lower third of the bowl, and some that will simply taste sour. As for the latter, there is no sense in forcing a smoke if it begins to take on a nasty taste and ruin what should have been an hour or so of a pleasurable smoke.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks everyone for your input. Really appreciate it.
Settersbrace, I'm new and still gathering my tobaccos, but so far I have English, VA's, and VaPer's. I have about $60.00 worth of Aromatics in a box that I have no idea what to do with. I bought those first and quickly realized they were not for me. Anyway, I found that the English seem to smoke to the bottom easier, or maybe i got lucky, not sure. Perhaps i will smoke those until some cake is built in the bottom.
I hate to sound corny, but discovering pipe smoking and all that it does for the soul has been a near religious experience for me. It's hard to put into words my feelings about it, but it has been life changing for me.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I truly believe that for many if not all of us that regularly smoke tobacco pipes feel it was a life changing experience. I've stated elsewhere how I remember so vividly that first trancesedent smoking experience that made me realize what this was all about. You'll go far if you stay with it and hang around here asking questions, with that I have no doubts.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Personally, I usually smoke all the way down. If not, I leave the dottle and pack more tobacco on top and it gets smoked on the second go. My pipes have a rock hard heel cake. When I ream every few weeks I make sure to leave the heel cake. I build cake quickly so I usuall ream completely out, except the heel.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Once you've smoked your pipes long enough and have them broken in fully, you'll find that smoking to the bottom becomes second nature....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used to clear the ash intermittently and tamp with a tamper, but for the last year have switched to tamping with my finger, clearing the ash only when the pipe is at one/third of the tobacco remaining, which means that most of the tobacco is gone and that whatever is left in the bowl is covered over with compacted ash from having smoked far into the bowl. If after clearing I can light what is left, I do so, but whatever life is left is usually short.
I stop smoking when I can no longer light what is left or what is left lights only a little and bites. Then I dump the bowl and clean the pipe. There is not much tobacco remaining at this point, and I don't taste anything nasty or bitter at any point during the smoke.
Any surgeon will tell you that although we all have the same basic anatomy, we are all physically constituted differently; pediatric anatomy reveals substantial dissimilarity. What follows from this irregularity, I feel, follows into our palate, how we taste and how we decide what we taste. Thus you may find tobacco bitter at different points during a bowl while I don't. Moreover, at the beginning of one's pipe smoking career there is so much information pouring through your palate deriving from the particular tobacco, the particular pipe, what you are tasting, what you have read that is retrievable about the blend as well as vague impressions from your day having nothing to do with pipesmoking but which struck you, that it becomes difficult to taste the smoke in the way that it is commonly held by those who've smoked longer, the "experts" and those who are said to write good, accurate reviews.
Which is to say that the early days of pipesmoking can be confusing and the ideas one gets during this time about pipesmoking highly subjective. The "cure" for this is more pipesmoking. It will clarify as you go.
Hope this helps.

I cannot imagine just smoking for the sake of cake, lol. As Brian Levine has said if you don't smoke to the bottom, why the heck do you need cake there anyways. And, per Rick Newcombe, there are pipe smokers who believe that the first four or five bowls through a pipe is the best smoke a pipe will give.

We are all different. If you want to slave through something you hate for the sake of building cake in a place that doesn't matter a hill of beans if you're never going to smoke to that point, go ahead. There are absolutely NO rules to this game. It's all about the pleasure that you personally find.
Me, I have every day clenchers that I ream the cake out of at the end of every day with the chamber shaped blade in my Case pocket knife, leaving only a paper thin coating. I know for a fact that I am not the only one. But, I also have pipes that I maintain a good cake in for setting back at the end of the day and enjoying while doing nothing else, different pipes for different ways of smoking and different cakes.
I wouldn't let anyone tell me that there's only one dogmatic way to do things.

Personally, I think there's too much emphasis on building cake, which makes newbies a bit crazy if they don't get cake built up within a few months. Enjoy the pipe right know. The way you enjoy that same pipe in one year will be different, and ten years after that it will be even more different. If you're smoking for tomorrow, you are probably making more work out of it than enjoyment.
My 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.